Thread: First lithopane problem

1. Default First lithopane problem

I have had my system for 8-10 years and still use the original basic software and wanted to try a lithopane. I created the jig and imported the test photo and when the "job" ran the error came up that the bit depth does not match......I then try option 7 to determine if the system could measure the thickness and got a "E06-0313 error.......z axis stall.

I then ran another small carving job (no lexan) that used the 1/16" carving bit and it worked fine.

For "grins" I took the jig and turned it over so that the lexan was now on the bottom and "hidden" and there was no error..........I then turn the jig back upright and "flipped" the lexan to reveal the remaining paper covered side and again there was no error........in both cases I "stopped" the project prior to actual material cutting.

It does not seem reasonable that one should have to leave the paper on the lexan to cut the project, but that is what this seems to be pointing to.

Any help/insights are appreciated.

Is the lexan clear without the paper off, if so , it maybe seeing thru the Lexan and trying to reach the bottom of the sled.
    I use white litho material witch reflects the light, just a thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 91C703D0-87B9-4E06-917F-F6D5E1664204.jpeg   F4280041-66AF-416A-A337-24EA2B9568E7.jpeg  
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

I can't remember all the materials that are good or bad but I know there is a problem with some melting and sticking to the bit.
    Just an FYI if you haven't checked it out. Many posts regarding acceptable material. Lithopanes are my favorite carve, easy to see across the room.
    Luck,
    Rick H

I have done Lexan in the past with good results. The machine will not do well with the clear sheets. I found that it does not like the white covering that the thinner Lexan comes covered in. The brown facing seems to do fine. There is a trick I use to fool the machine a bit. I peel the face off the carving side of the sheet and put masking tape on the Lexan where the sensor travels in a T shape, so the sensor sees the tape in both measuring directions.Then tell it to jog to position. This allows me to run a longer jig so i can run the project out of the machine to remove the the tape then jog it into place to start the carve. The machine will check to make sure there is enough material to carve, which does not involve the sensor, and begin carving. My question to you is, are you doing a litho or an edge lighting project? Lexan works well edge lighting, but not so much for litho work. Just to warn you a bit, Lexan or any plastic creates static. The small particles will stick to everything. After carving you will have to clean the machine a bit. The rubber rollers seem to like the plastic and must be wipe down to remove the plastic particle from them. I remove the facing both white and brown before carving due to the fact that white facing reflects in a way the machine does not like and the brown is a real pain to remove after carving in small areas, so I just do the tape thing a save myself the hassle. Lexan does not polish up as easy or as nice as cast acrylic, but still does a nice job.