Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text depth problem

Default Text depth problem

I have made small signs in 3/4 inch oak with peoples names on it for years. (One name per sign.) I am doing my annual batch and am on the last one. For some reason, the name is not carving nearly as deep as usual. I restarted the project and carved again and it is doing the same thing. I have confirmed that it is the same text as always, I am using the right bit (90 degree) but it suddenly is much less deep.

It doesn't look bad, but is definitely different from the other signs. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

What is your Head Pressure? Are you watching it touch the slap plate and the board?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    What is your Head Pressure? Are you watching it touch the slap plate and the board?
    I haven't checked the head pressure in a long time. It's never been an issue and I just turn the crank until It clicks 3 times.
    I could check it. Yes, it seems to be touching the slap plate and the board when it says "finding depth" normally.

Checking head pressure should be done regularly.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Checking head pressure should be done regularly.
    I will do that and report back. I appreciate your input!

Maddeningly, I can't find the scale in my workshop I bought just for this purpose. I'll figure something out and post the results tomorrow.

Have you tried reformatting the card? That has cured several weird problems for me.

Like posted above it looks like the bit stopped short of actually touching the bit plate. This happens when the Z feel resistance to movement from dirty Z Rails, Dirty Z Belt, or The bit is loose in the holder and is slipping up in the chuck if you don't have a CT.

Worst case you have an intermittent FSC Cable....
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Like posted above it looks like the bit stopped short of actually touching the bit plate. This happens when the Z feel resistance to movement from dirty Z Rails, Dirty Z Belt, or The bit is loose in the holder and is slipping up in the chuck if you don't have a CT.

Worst case you have an intermittent FSC Cable....
    Thanks. Going to give it a good deep clean and lube and try again.

Especially see this after a bunch of raster carving where lots of junk gets splattered on the Z Roller RAILS lower section and starts to build up. Then when you insert a V90 or a V60 that is quite a bit shorter... The Truck must go down FURTHER that with the raster cut and runs into the SPEED BUMPS of junk on the rails. So the head feels the resistance of the speed bumps AT THE BIT PLATE where the computer is monitoring the Z Motor CURRENT looking for that BUMP at the BIT PLATE. The Result is an AIR CARVE or a Text Carve that is higher or lighter than expected.

I keep a Brass Wire Brush the size of a Tooth Brush next to my machine for the Z RAILS... Even hit the Y Rails from time to time.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast