Thread: gunstock carving

Default gunstock carving

Does any one have a suggestion on how to setup and carve a pattern on a gunstock in the general area circled?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190221_121647.jpg  

This is a lot of work and you would need the stl importer add-on.

The way I would do it is build a custom jig to hold the stock. I would then scan the surface of the gun to get the geometry of the wood in that area. I would then build a custom geometry/pattern to follow the curve of the wood.

You can get a scan of the surface of the stock using photogrammetry software. There are many options today with virtual labs to composite the images online or software that you can do on your computer.

P.S. Hopefully someone has a better strategy. I am sure there a ton of better ways of doing it but if I was going to do it it's the way I would go about it.

Thanks Oscar. did not think it was going to be simple..

Do you have the scanner?

If you mean a scanner for paper copies. yes.. I also have the carvewright scanner for copying patterns. yes i can do that also.

I think it is possible to do using the CW scanning probe. It would not be easy. First you would scan the area of the gun stock where the carving is to go. Use that pattern to create the mpc. The hard part is you have to make a sled which would hold the gun stock for scanning as well as for carving. For the final step of carving, you need to figure a way to fine tune the head height to carve above the scanned part of the pattern.

Thanks Berg, Think the process is not worth the outcome. Probably better to hand carve the leaf pattern he wants.

I haven't done a gun. I did a guitar body in the exact way Berg outlined. I have had a few gun stock requests just didn't want to risk it.
    most are $200 and up to replace. I suggested a whole new carve with the pattern on it. No one was willing to pay what it cost...
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Yes I understand the issue. This customer has over 400.00 in stock now , it would have to be a two sided carve and I have not had a two sided carve that I am Happy with yet.

I tried doing what Bergerud was talking about, I scanned the stock using a scanning sled, took the scanned file and inserted the bald eagle that I wanted to carve but I couldn't get it to carve on the curve of the stock like I was wanting, it would have carved flat and I didn't want that. I'm not good at using designer but I do believe it is possible to do with the CW. Wish you luck.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.