Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does my text carving take so long

1. Default Why does my text carving take so long

I am carving Alphabets just with a text box, Raster, Bold Arial, 3.5" tall, .25" deep.
    Bit Optimization: None, and Upload Quality: Normal
    It is estimated at 5.5 HOURS!! I am not able to select an 1/8" cutting bit to try and make it faster.

I just need simple, bold, BLOCK letters carved all at the same depth - not feathered or V.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text sample.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	87176

You did not mention the size of your design but since it is a raster the machine will start at one end of the board and the truck will go back and forth just like a regular carving, not do just the letters like centerline does so it can take a long time if it is a large board. You can go to board settings and it will give you the option of choosing different size carving bits.

3. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    You did not mention the size of your design but since it is a raster the machine will start at one end of the board and the truck will go back and forth just like a regular carving, not do just the letters like centerline does so it can take a long time if it is a large board. You can go to board settings and it will give you the option of choosing different size carving bits.
    OK - I will try that. It is taking about 15 minutes per letter, which seems excessive. There has got to be a better way if it is all at the same depth, i am thinking it should be quicker.

4. Default

BTW... THANKS
    My board is 72" long

Your carving looks fairly deep. Does it need to be that deep? Often a .125" depth for lettering is sufficient. Shallower depth will carve faster. Also, add some draft which will speed things up a bit.

Another trick that might help is to separate the top and bottom rows into two projects. Run one right after the other without removing the board. The bit has to travel from one row to the other as is. Separating into two projects eliminates that travel time.

Depending on your finished product, you might be able to do it in layers.
    Your top layer at.25 or.125 thick cut the letters out by outlining them, then glue/laminate the cutout layer onto the back layer.
    This will mean way less time in the machine, but require more of your time.
    Just another option though.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    Depending on your finished product, you might be able to do it in layers.
    Your top layer at.25 or.125 thick cut the letters out by outlining them, then glue/laminate the cutout layer onto the back layer.
    This will mean way less time in the machine, but require more of your time.
    Just another option though.

Great Idea!!! That sounds VERY simple and much quicker. Thanks for helping me think outside the box

I have JUST the TRICK for you... I do wood signs with a 3/8 end mill with a cutter on the bottom.

I use a Single Stroke Font called MODERN

I use OUTLINE MODE not Centerline or Raster.

Works GREAT !!!!

As you increase the size of the text you may need to increase the bit OR go back and add vector lines and assign the same bit and depth to "Clean Out" the missed areas.

The trick is a Single Stroke Font...

Smaller text requires a smaller bit...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC09912_WEB.jpg   DSC09577_WEB.jpg   DSC09962_WEB.jpg   DSC09958_WEB.jpg  

DSC09020_WEB.jpg   DSC00680_WEB.jpg   DSC08757_WEB.jpg   DSC08752_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-09-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I need some help what is the bests fonts to use my projects come out ok, but my texts don't, I tried to start to start a new post but i cant figure it out, know the patterns I paid for it seems to crave ok,

Quote Originally Posted by ljp7128 View Post
    I need some help what is the bests fonts to use my projects come out ok, but my texts don't, I tried to start to start a new post but i cant figure it out, know the patterns I paid for it seems to crave ok,
    For raster carved fonts I find that using a lowered height, draft and bit optimization to best works very well. As for best fonts, if you ask 25 people you might get 25 different answers.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast