I'm having a difficult time getting a finish that looks good to me. Specifically the spray can clear finishes. I have tried following the instructions by spraying light coats and observing the recoat times, but I get the orange peel, dimpled look every time. I have tried Rustoleum clear, as well as the Krylon. My shop is heated and so temp is not an issue.

The only one that seemed to flow well and get a nice smooth attractive finish with no orange peel look was Watco spray lacquer that, ironically, is made by Rustoleum.

For this reason I have stuck with wipe on poly till now for my carvings, but as you know, that takes several days to get the number of coats needed. I have great results brushing polycyclic or shellac, but anything carved makes it difficult to brush on.

I worked in a cabinet shop for 12 years and the pre cat lacquers are amazing, but I suspect I may not be able to buy those though I do have spray equipment.

I know many on here use the spray finishes, so I'm hoping others have helpful tips on these finishes.

Thanks in advance!

Tim