Thread: Cut Motor not turning?

Default Cut Motor not turning?

Well, just hit a problem I have never seen before...setup steps went fine until it got to Routing Figure...then nothing...then a few clicking sounds and the 60 degree bit tried to move through the wood with spinning...I hit STOP...then got this...Y Axis Stall Err E05-003. Press STOP. Anyone seen this? I did get a Check Cut Motor message prior to the Routing Figure message, but I have seen that before and continued on without problem. Not this time???
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

Somebody who has run into this before will probably be along shortly, but I'll have to do for now.

Wicked weather right now made me think, is it cold in your shop?

If it's marginally cold, I'd try going into the Configuration menu and running a cut motor test to see if you can start it up manually.
    That might give you a more usable error code too, if it doesn't start up.
    If it does start then you can warm up the flex shaft a bit by letting run.

That Y axis stall is from it crashing into your board without the cut motor running.

How many hours are on your machine?
    Worn brushes, or a loose/bad connection are two other possibilities that come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    Somebody who has run into this before will probably be along shortly, but I'll have to do for now.

Wicked weather right now made me think, is it cold in your shop?

If it's marginally cold, I'd try going into the Configuration menu and running a cut motor test to see if you can start it up manually.
    That might give you a more usable error code too, if it doesn't start up.
    If it does start then you can warm up the flex shaft a bit by letting run.

That Y axis stall is from it crashing into your board without the cut motor running.

How many hours are on your machine?
    Worn brushes, or a loose/bad connection are two other possibilities that come to mind.
    Reply:
    Warm shop...same temp for 10 years Test info I saw is below... Cut Motor problem I think ??

OK...I'm going to post everything I saw because I have never had to do this before...Test X - X: A=106.35; M=171.87. Test Y - Y: A=104.39; M=256.00. Test Z - Z: A=39.32; M=91.91. Testing Cut Motor - message "Cut Motor is Running" but, it was NOT running.
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Reply:
    Warm shop...same temp for 10 years Test info I saw is below... Cut Motor problem I think ??

OK...I'm going to post everything I saw because I have never had to do this before...Test X - X: A=106.35; M=171.87. Test Y - Y: A=104.39; M=256.00. Test Z - Z: A=39.32; M=91.91. Testing Cut Motor - message "Cut Motor is Running" but, it was NOT running.
    check your switch on RH side that it click or brushes or your ribbon or wire not probably not connected right
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

I'd give Tech support a call on Monday, I don't know how to interpret those test results, but................

It seems like it could be possibly a few things, the brushes, the switch on the cover, the cut motor, the board or even the controller.
    It's odd that it thinks the motor is running though, maybe the speed sensor is wonkey?

I don't wanna lead you down the wrong path, I'm just throwing ideas out there, I've never had any cut motor issues with mine so I'm just brainstorming and guessing is all.

The motor and switches can be checked easily with an ohm meter. This can be done without removing them from the machine. If I were a betting man, I would put my money on motor brushes.

He found that the connectors at the cut motor were unplugged.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    He found that the connectors at the cut motor were unplugged.
    Simple fixes are always good news.

Glad it's back up and running, thanks for the update.

On the key pad 0 then 8 will give you tests X then Y the Z then cut motor. Cursor to cut motor and run the test. Check the brushes. If ok then could be the cover switch or the X term board. Find an old extension cord or lamp cord with a male end but bare wires at the other end, and pug it into a switched power strip turned off. Strip and twist tight each bare end so you have two pointy ends. Turn the machine on it's back and remove the bottom panel. The X term board is on the right. Find the wires going thru the bottom and up the side of the machine. You will have to cut the zip tie. Pull it off the X term board and plug the twisted ends of your chord into the socket going up the side. Be sure the cover is closed (cover switch closed) and briefly turn on the power strip. If the motor runs the X term board is bad - you will probably see the burn marks. This, in my experience, is the most likely problem if the brushes are ok. If the motor doesn't run the problem could be the corer switch or the motor. You can plug your test cord into the motor and try it.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com