Thread: DXF Importer Crash Cause? (Solved)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DXF Importer Crash Cause? (Solved)

I downloaded a trial version of Coreldraw to experiment with, I've had the DXF importer for many years.
    At times I need better vector layout control than what the 2D packages offers, and I'm constantly struggling with it.

But now the DXF importer crashes when I try and import a very simple drawing I was testing out.
    I just drew a rectangle with arcs on ends, and as soon as I would try to import, designer will crash and shut down.
    So I kept trying to drill down and see if I could isolate the problem.
    It doesn't matter what version of AutoCAD I export for, the crash happens every single time.

I drew a rectangle version with no arcs and that I can import.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
    This is about a basic as it gets, it can't be a file size issue.
    I don't want to invest time in drawing out something complicated to find out I can't import it, I'm glad I start with just a simple test shape.

This, I can't import.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rect.arcs.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	87124

But this, I can.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rectangle.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	87125

I'll take any advise or wild guesses you're willing to offer.

Thanks.

Other than having you post the files you might try increasing your rendering cache file size in preferences and/or turn off file preview feature if you are using the pro version.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks fwharris, I appreciate the input.

I tried increasing the cache file size, no luck.
    I am using Pro, but I don't know how to turn off preview that you mentioned. I sometimes Toggle the Auto-rerender when I'm working in Designer. Is that the same thing you're talking about?
    But unless I'm misunderstanding I'm not getting that far. I'm not reaching the rendering stage.
    As soon as I select The file to import in DXF Importer, and click "open", Designer/Importer closes, no warning messages no nothing, it just slams shut.

I didn't post my files, because I wasn't sure how many people were using Coreldraw here.
    I didn't save the square end rectangle drawing, so I quick redrew it, and tried to import it, and now it crashes Designer/DXF Importer also.
    I'll post the DXF files, if anybody is bored enough that they wanna mess with them.
    Corel Files are "not a valid file" I image I'd have to ZIP them to post those. I'll see if I have a ZIP utility on this computer.

5.5X30 arc ends outline.dxf5.5X30 rectangle.dxf

Is there a dimension limit to import? These are 5 1/2" X 30" pieces, that doesn't seem out of line to me though.

I think I figured it out!

It was a file name issue.

I had one named "5.5X30 rectangle arc ends"
    I changed the name to "rectangle arc ends", and I can now import the damn thing.

I'm guessing it was the period in the file name, I never received and invalid characters warning, so I have no way of knowing for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    Thanks fwharris, I appreciate the input.

I tried increasing the cache file size, no luck.
    I am using Pro, but I don't know how to turn off preview that you mentioned. I sometimes Toggle the Auto-rerender when I'm working in Designer. Is that the same thing you're talking about?
    But unless I'm misunderstanding I'm not getting that far. I'm not reaching the rendering stage.
    As soon as I select The file to import in DXF Importer, and click "open", Designer/Importer closes, no warning messages no nothing, it just slams shut.

I didn't post my files, because I wasn't sure how many people were using Coreldraw here.
    I didn't save the square end rectangle drawing, so I quick redrew it, and tried to import it, and now it crashes Designer/DXF Importer also.
    I'll post the DXF files, if anybody is bored enough that they wanna mess with them.
    Corel Files are "not a valid file" I image I'd have to ZIP them to post those. I'll see if I have a ZIP utility on this computer.

5.5X30 arc ends outline.dxf5.5X30 rectangle.dxf

Is there a dimension limit to import? These are 5 1/2" X 30" pieces, that doesn't seem out of line to me though.
    I am glad you got it figured out! What I was referring to was the cache rendering setting in the preference setting found under the "edit" tab. This increased the amount of memory allocated to designer program. The smaller the cache size is will take longer for Designer to react when doing your designs. I've got mine set at 800mb and IMO Designer runs a lot better. To toggle the file preview off/on to the the "help" tab select/deselect file preview.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thank you very much!

I'll mess around with those settings tomorrow.
    I've never experimented with those at all.
    Now I'm curious to see how they'll affect performance on my system.

In a file name, it considers the first three letters after the period as the file extension. That file extension tells it what program to use to run the file.

Never use periods when naming a file. I usually substitute an _ (underscore) instead.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    In a file name, it considers the first three letters after the period as the file extension. That file extension tells it what program to use to run the file.

Never use periods when naming a file. I usually substitute an _ (underscore) instead.
    Oh sure, now that you mention the file extension thing that makes sense!
    I was just so concerned about trying to keep all my files in order and organized that I spaced out the naming conventions.
    See.......Every time I get the urge to get organized, it always ends up biting me in the rear end.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.