Thread: My lithophanes bits. What works for me...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default My lithophanes bits. What works for me...

I acquired an Amana Tool Shank Body several years ago and I ended up cutting .5 or .375 off the end of the shaft (Don't remember anymore which, but final length is .875) I tried it on some carves then on some really soft pine but it did not end well with a broken tip. Fast forward to 2 months ago I started practicing on Candlestone lithophanes and this is the results I have been getting. So far I have done at least a dozen carves in 5x7 material with no problems to the machine. In fact because of the shaving effect of the knife blade, I think it cuts better then the 1/32 spiral bit. Up side is I can touch up these blades when they become dull. I will only use them for Corian or similar material and based on my previous experience I advise others also! The picture is from a cell phone camera, and some of the nieces and nephews pictures that were taken from a actual camera turned out better. This was on Candelstone's Bone, In the next few weeks after recovering from all the carving time I am going to try an 8x10 his res picture to see what it turns out like, once I get a little more familiar with doing these.
    The bit is 30 degree .30 (Just under 1/32) V tip available at tools today.
    https://www.toolstoday.com/in-groove...rt-knives.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1203.JPG   IMG_1199.JPG   IMG_1208.JPG   IMG_1209.JPG  

Hundreds attend Global Warming Protest!!!