Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Church Sign

Default Church Sign

Been busy lately and haven't been able to get in the shop. Did make a new sign for the church nearby. Happened to have a large enough piece of corian.
    Name is in a piece 8 X 48, did a raster carve and filled the letters with a blue epoxy. Backlite everything with a 4 ft LED.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails church.jpg  

Very nice Want2, I bet they loved it. It looks very clear which will allow it to be read easily at a longer range. I did something like this a while back and had to put a dimmer in so it could a read easily, the light was so bright that it was a blur of blue until you got close enough to make out the lettering, so I had to tame the lighting down a tad, so it was not just a blue glow.

Very nice!! That came out great and very clean carving.

Want2b, I agree very nice, pro job!
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Thx for the positive feedback, everyone seems happy with it. Glad I happened to have the corian, biggest prob was the electrical side.

Want2b,
    Can’t imagine the electrical side, permits involved? Yikes if so…
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Personally, I would have stayed on the low voltage on end due to the led lighting. Most led lighting can be done on the 12 to 24 volt power, which is considered low voltage and has little to no code, due to the fact that it can not do much damage to people or property. With that being the case most areas do not have a need for permits. I run a 12 volt power supply in the house and run my gazebo, mailbox, and under cabinet lighting off that source. For some reason my mailbox seems to act as a target. Being 12 volt the power is not an issue when it is being run over, or picked up afterward. I have gone from 4x4 posts to 8x8 post to hold the mailbox and they seem to be able to avoid it more since the upgrade.

Interesting the thoughts about the electric issue. Was lucky that there used to be a florescent light in the case that had died. Issue was finding out where it was fed from. After finding that it turned out to have been on a timer(antique). Retrofitted the cabinet to angle the led light to have one row aimed at the corian sign and the other row to light the sign area. Then rewired it to add a photocell externally to control the light. Existing circuit, no permits required. Mostly just thinking things thru as to what we needed for the final result.
    Hope you mailbox finally gets some rest. Used to live rurally, box seemed to be a baseball bat target. Finally made one out of 1/8 steel welded to a 4 in pipe set in concrete. Found a couple of broken bats but after a month or so the word must have gotten out as it didn't acquire any new dents.

That makes sense, with anything there all ready, and all you were doing was a reconfiguration of the light itself.

Mugsowner,
    Hope the rascals break their bat if wooden, or vibrate the metal one out of their hands!
    Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast