Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Roller Going Crazy

Default Tracking Roller Going Crazy

I do not use my CW very often (28 hours cut time) because it takes at least 2 hours to get past the error messages. I finally solved one problem but now I have another. Lately when I put a board in it gets erratic when measuring the board. When the board reaches the last foot you can hear the machine bog down and then it pushes the board back and forth, jerky, and finally stops and has a tracking error message. I have read the troubleshooting and checked everything. Seems to be OK at the middle of the measurement but gets weird toward the end.

1 The corner posts are OK.
    2 Sandpaper belts are OK, like new and no rips, etc. and perfectly flat.
    3 I can roll the belts by hand. Tough but able to make them roller.
    4 Cables are OK
    5 The board is flat.
    6 Two layers of masking tape on the edge did not help so I tried three.
    7 Brass roller is OK.
    8 Washer on brass roller is OK.
    9 Compression rollers OK. I can hear the click. When the board is moving through the machine I can see both rollers turning.
    10 The board is 12" with 3.5" on each end, using a sled.
    11 Error message after Abort: E49-0320 Tracking Roller Failed.
    12 The squaring plate is against the board and the board has parallel sides.

Sometimes if I keep trying it will eventually get rid of it's attitude and work but this time it's being stubborn. This is an A machine.
    Thanks ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I do not use my CW very often (28 hours cut time) because it takes at least 2 hours to get past the error messages. I finally solved one problem but now I have another. Lately when I put a board in it gets erratic when measuring the board. When the board reaches the last foot you can hear the machine bog down and then it pushes the board back and forth, jerky, and finally stops and has a tracking error message. I have read the troubleshooting and checked everything. Seems to be OK at the middle of the measurement but gets weird toward the end.

1 The corner posts are OK.
    2 Sandpaper belts are OK, like new and no rips, etc. and perfectly flat.
    3 I can roll the belts by hand. Tough but able to make them roller.
    4 Cables are OK
    5 The board is flat.
    6 Two layers of masking tape on the edge did not help so I tried three.
    7 Brass roller is OK.
    8 Washer on brass roller is OK.
    9 Compression rollers OK. I can hear the click. When the board is moving through the machine I can see both rollers turning.
    10 The board is 12" with 3.5" on each end, using a sled.
    11 Error message after Abort: E49-0320 Tracking Roller Failed.
    12 The squaring plate is against the board and the board has parallel sides.

Sometimes if I keep trying it will eventually get rid of it's attitude and work but this time it's being stubborn. This is an A machine.
    Thanks ahead of time.
    I sounds like the board is binding somewhere or the sandpaper belts are not aligned. After you slide the sliding plate over next to the board and before you crank the head down, try manually sliding the board all the way through the machine.

It could also be a problem with the x axis gear assembly. Missing or broken teeth maybe? That can happen if a small piece of wood gets dislodged and falls down in the mechanism.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-18-2016 at 07:04 PM.
    Steve

Your Edge guide should be away from the board by at least the thickness of a Quarter... IF the board rubs the right side guide it will cause the board to stall.

I would also venture to guess that the sand paper belt under the cut motor is rolled under. Something that is not easy to see.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I was told once that one cause of the back and forth x action was excessive backlash in the x gears. That seems strange for your machine with so few hours. As Steve said, take a good look at the x gear system.

Also check that the brass roller is pressing hard against the board. Look for the tell tale track marks on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I was told once that one cause of the back and forth x action was excessive backlash in the x gears. That seems strange for your machine with so few hours. As Steve said, take a good look at the x gear system.

Also check that the brass roller is pressing hard against the board. Look for the tell tale track marks on the board.
    Some where/some place it was said the back and forth motion was the machine doing a check for X gear play and I think the machine then make a calculated guess for the X measurement.

You did not state if you checked your head pressure, if you have not I would highly suggest you do so. You said the brass roller was okay, does that mean there is resistance when you push down on it? It should not go down easily, if it does the damper spring might have fallen out from underneath it. It helps hold the brass roller up against the board.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I forgot to add a couple of things you guys mentioned.
    Yes, the roller has resistance, it is not sloppy.
    I can see the tracks on the masking tape.
    I can slide the board after the right guide is slid up to the board.
    I will check the other issues tmrw.
    After 4 hours of trying to diagnose the problem I had to get away from it. Tomorrow is another day.
    Thanks for the well explained responses. I will keep you posted.

You said "When the board reaches the last foot" and also "The board is 12" with 3.5" on each end, using a sled." How long is the sled? The reson that I ask is I have tracking issues with long sleds if the support rollers, and my additional ones, are not perfectly adjusted.

I may have used the wrong term, I am using a carrier board not sled. My project board is 12x6, the carrier board is 19x6. I used this to make the design, now I am flipping the project to carve my name on the back. The "last foot" probably should say "the last 6 inches." I will get specifics when I work on it today. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I may have used the wrong term, I am using a carrier board not sled. My project board is 12x6, the carrier board is 19x6. I used this to make the design, now I am flipping the project to carve my name on the back. The "last foot" probably should say "the last 6 inches." I will get specifics when I work on it today. Thank you
    Try using the carrier board, or any other board approximately the same size, without anything attached. If you still have the same problem at least you have eliminated one possibility. Can you post a picture of your carrier and board assembly?

More things to check:
    Head pressure
    Head is level
    In feed and out feed tables are adjusted properly
    Does it always happen in exactly the same spot?
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-19-2016 at 11:03 AM.
    Steve

My understanding of the x "oscillation" is that it is some kind of feedback problem. The brass roller data is used to update and correct the interpretation of the x encoder data. These two encoders are mechanically connected through the x gear system, belts, and the board. Anything that messes with this "connection" could be the cause. Excessive x gear play or extra drag forces on this x system could be the cause.

I used to occasionally have this oscillation but never really determined the cause. New x gears, rubber belts, and so on, and somehow, the problem has disappeared.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast