Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grave Marker

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Grave Marker

I'm carving a grave marker for a close friend of mine who recently lost her fiance.

I'm carving it out of oak, and plan to put SEVERAL coats of spar urethane on it. Any other special considerations I need to take into account, since this will be exposed to the elements 24/7? When I give it to her, I'm going to note that it will either need to be continually refinished every so often or replaced eventually.

Another question I have, since the board is only 0.75" thick is - how to I attache some kind of stake to the back so it'll mount into the ground? I was thinking a small block, cut at an angle (so the carving isn't horizontal) that the carving would mount to. I'd maybe drill a hole into the block as well, to accept a dowel or stake of some kind. As far as attaching the block to the carving, will Tightbond II be enough to hold up to the elements?

Any other considerations I need to think about? Thanks!

One way is to place another 3/4” board the same size as the front, making the marker 1 1/2” thick, but cut 2 slots
    what ever width you want for the stakes. Do not come out the top, this will prevent the rain fron entering from the top.
    check to see the grain is different in direction from the front, place the stakes in position and secure the to the front by
    glue and screws, hope this works out for you. The rectangle is equal to you project
    see attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B8B240C4-1571-48A2-B666-31F3B0AA9B43.jpeg  
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Cgav34,
    Why not consider Corian as an alternative in this case. I do 99% of my work in Corian type products, and it holds up quite well outdoors. Paint the letters, sand, then coat with a rattle can spray lacquer and your good to go. My address sign has been up since probably 2010 and looks as good as the day I made it, just a thought... you can get sink cut outs from kitchen and bath remodelers. A lot of times just asking will get you a piece of Corian.
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

I never reset the the project thickness when using a sled.

I agree with Gary. Also consider Oak turns black when it gets wet & outside in the elements (oak whiskey barrel planters lost their popularity for that reason). I know you said you are going to put a finish on it or need to replace it so make it durable from the start. You could also use cedar or cypress... if you're determined to use wood. Unfortunately markers get stolen or damaged, the groundskeepers at the cemeteries here clean up all markers, flowers, decorations, etc. once a year and throw them away so check into that also. I would give her something she can use or remember her fiance everyday.

Yes Corian is the way to go for outside markers, I have done a ton inside and out side.
    you can pick up od sizes from solid surface.com .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5EB250D-9D5A-45A2-9453-FF848C573D07.jpeg  
    My Shop 1044

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    the fool to the left."

Never thought about Corian. Looked and called around the shops in the area, but they all deal only with stone.

What about HDPE? Found a no frills cutting board on Amazon, 12"x18"x1". Kinda wanted something quick, since I was planning on giving it to her the day after Christmas. Not a big fan of the plain white though...

The design does have a recessed, "concrete" textured area, with a USMC logo and his PD badge in the center, with his name at the top, and dates at the bottom. How well with the HDPE take paint? Letters are centerline carved, and the USMC logo and badge will have black paint to bring out the highlights.

I resurched the HDPE material and it looks like a good replacment for Corian, I might order a small sample to test for coasters.
    My Shop 1044

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    the fool to the left."

Default How to charge???????

What is your process in figuring out the retail? What is the thickness you use? Do you use any different in bits for wood or corian? Very interesting!!!!!!! Larry

Quote Originally Posted by cedarwoodworks View Post
    What is your process in figuring out the retail? What is the thickness you use? Do you use any different in bits for wood or corian? Very interesting!!!!!!! Larry
    Not sure on how to figure retail as I don't sell much of my work as others do here. Not sure what your thickness question is. If you could add a bit more pertaining info to the question, I'm sure you will get an answer. The bits offered by LHR are carbide and work great with both wood and corian. Carbide bits can cut most any material put in front of it. The machining world is full of carbide tooling to preform the tasks they contend with. Gearing and power are the only real differences.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast