Thread: Help with an image file and carve

Default Help with an image file and carve

Hi all,

I'm having issues with this image and carve. The original artwork is from the website of a friend. I've copied the image, made it a transparent background, imported, and added to my pattern library.

I then outline the image and delete all of the unnecessary details to leave a simple outline shape that I want to carve. Everything *looks* ok and carves ok, but I'm getting these odd random straight lines carved into the material. They don't show up in designer on the workpiece or in the carving list but I assume they are some artifacts or garbage on the image.

Admittedly, this is not a great image file to begin with, but I thought I could get away with it by just carving an outline.

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rabel test.jpg   rabel ram image.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I do not see anything in the project that would make the stray lines. Maybe try reformatting the card and reload the project.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks. I will probably have to give that a shot. I have gone back through the process several times. If I carve the project at a different size, the lines are still there, but they move around.

All other projects that I have saved and uploaded today are carving normally.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I would be looking to try a different image, I have found that lesser quality images can have garbage that can sometimes not be seen and carve firewood images.

That's odd. Some kind of defect in Outline tool?

I cleaned your image up a little in a drawing program and pattern editor. See if it works for you. Keep the carving shallow, and the bigger the better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ram 2.PNG 
Views:	45 
Size:	869.6 KB 
ID:	86941
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is it possible that the original image had some "white" lines painted in it (to cover some of the black line drawing?) that are not visible in the drawing? the image file will remember they are there even if we cannot see them. (maybe in another "layer" of the image?)

Thanks for the suggestions! I would try another image but this is from their website so I'm trying to stay true to that.

DickB, thanks, I will give it a shot!

Kitty, I suspect it is something along those lines, but the lines move and vary in number based on the size of the image.

Those pesky little pixels.......

DickB, whatever you did worked! It looks great now. Thanks!

Great! I opened the image in paint.net and enlarged it 400%. I applied a little bit of blur to smooth out some pixels - carefully; it is easy to over do this. I opened the image in Pattern Editor and applied the De- Noise Filter. I set the carving depth to .1" and applied Bit Optimization: Best.