Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting acrylic

Default Cutting acrylic

I need to cut 3" and 3-1/2" circles in 3/8" acrylic. I'll use the 3/16" cutting bit. Should I cut full depth, or make multiple passes?

I would say do multi pass.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

is this cast acrylic or extruded? Like with lithopanes they say to use only cast because the extruded will ball up (melt) on the bit and may break your bit. I'd be very careful and stand watching it if you're not sure what you have. Just my 2¢ worth.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

It's cast. Curious if anyone has done a cutout like this.

i have cut 3/16" on a single pass with an 1/8" bit with no problems. Thinking a one pass should work with the big bit. Do you have a spare piece to try and cut just to be sure.

I have machined quite a lot of thick cast acrylic. I would not even think about a single pass. Use a new bit. (I use two flute short bits.)

I would use a carrier board and 1/4 inch strips of double stick tape to hold the loose circle. I would make a vector path or circle and assign the 1/4 inch bull nose bit. But actually use the 3/16 cutting bit.

My thinking is that this would lock the feed rate into 1st or it's slowest gear giving you a smoother cut. Not use Cut Path and Tabs. Because remember the machine is going to think you are cutting wood and will likely shift into the faster cutting rate destroying something...

LHR... What are your thoughts...?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02590a_WEB.jpg   DSC02590_WEB.jpg   DSC01454_WEB.jpg   DSC09390_WEB.jpg  

DSC09393_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 12-10-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks all for the input. I have not had good luck with double-sided tape, but will consider it. I am doing this for a friend who sent me two 12" square sheets, so yes I can screw one or two up but would rather not. I will probably take 1/8" passes.

I cut two of these rings today using tabs and 1/8" passes. One of the reasons for using tabs is it allowed me to load the blanks into my drill press to sand and polish the outside edges. The machine did not strain near as much as when cutting oak. No issues with melting or any other problems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181214_130345.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	86935 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181214_134052.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	86936

I may have to try making an acrylic clock.

That would be interesting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast