Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting acrylic

Like I stated earlier, I have cut at 3/16" with one pass with a 1/8" bit. I have done this many times for making edge lit projects. A trick that I picked up on was that you can flame polish cast acrylic. Propane will not give enough heat with out extra help, but Mapp gas burns hotter and does have the heat to get the job done. Sand, then polish, then to get that clear edge we want to see again, heat brings it out for you quick and easy.

I actually tried my propane torch on one of the inner circle scrap pieces. It polished the edge nicely, but also left a 1/16" bump on the surfaces top and bottom, so mixed results.

Propane not being hot enough causes you to keep heat on long then you want. MAPP being hotter allows for a faster pass, so you don't that to heat the piece as much.

On Sawmill Creek are a few threads on Flame Polishing. Even 2 that I know of where they did group purchases of Flame Polishers from China. I got in on the first batch. Never used it yet.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Is there any way to tell if it is cast or extruded acrylic before it goes into the CW? Cutting with my band saw first maybe to see if it balls up? I am having a really difficult time in my area to get cast acrylic. The vendors/glass companies all say it is cast but it all gums up when I use the CW. I tried to etch some letters with a depth of 0.04 and a 60v bit, with no luck.

I did some looking around to see if I could find a answer for you. This is what I found. Extruded has higher tolerances and if thickness checked should be with in .05, where cast can be as far off as .2. Another method I came across was to burn a little piece/strip. Extruded burns silently and drips molten flaming balls , cast burns with a crackly flame and wont drip burning pieces. I hope this helps you out a bit. Cut edges can also be a tell tale they say, cast being more grannie looking, extruded should be smoother and clearer after cutting.

Thank you for the reply, I did find that when I cut it on my band saw that the edges were quite coarse. I will try these tests as I go along, and let you know. Thanks again.

Sawmill Creek has a forum that I visited often but not lately. Lots on working with Acrylic. I even got in on a group purchase of some flame polishers from China... They did a 2nd buy....
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I will check out the site, thank you Al.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12