Thread: Lithophane

Default Lithophane

Just finished a 5 1/2 hour carve of a lithophane for a Christmas Present for a dear friend that unexpectedly lost her mother about a year ago.

It measures 14" wide by 22" long. It has a 5" x 7" picture of both her parents at the top surrounded by mayhaw, followed by an 12" x 7" picture of her with her brothers, sister and mother.

Then at the bottom is a 14" x 7" picture of her and her husband, their children, spouses, and grandchild. It came out wonderfully. Now today, The shadow box is 1" deep frame with a mirror attached on the back panel surrounded by the led lights. The lithopane is inserted a 1/4" into the frame and the half rope glued to the top edge. Found this led light strip at Home Depot.

The photo on the left shows the carved lithophane in its raw form. The photo in the center shows the lithophane back lighted and the third photo shows the led light source.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	litho.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	86892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighted litho.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	86893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light kit.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	86894

That came out wonderfully. I am sure it will be a dear and special present.

That came out great!

Another source for LED light strips off the shelf is Best Buy. You need to buy a usb power brick, like you would use with your phone. 4', trimable to length.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=5777900

Looks great, thanks for sharing. That's the largest litho I've ever seen done.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

DianMayfield, thanks for the source for LED light strips from Best Buy... I'll try them on my next project.

CarverJerry, funny thing, I haven't used the CW for over a year and when I loaded the image it loaded find.
    When I went to carve the image the CW treated each row of photos as one carve... So off I went and when
    I looked at the screen it showed 25% carved...no way it's only through the first photo... How can that be,
    do I stop the process thinking I loaded the wrong file or it only uploaded the first photo.... OMG...Patience,
    that I don't have kick in and let the process finish.. Then it started carving the second photo and I knew everything
    was going to be ok...

Beautiful job. Great keepsake for the family.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I love those every time I see one. That is a fantastic job!

Beautiful project, lithophanes are my favorite. Have done several large ones but never thought about putting multiple pics on one carve.
    Should be a treasured item.
    Rick H