Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Rock chuck issue

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southern Delaware
    Posts
    678

    Default Rock chuck issue

    Decided to do maintenance, had small issues and at 225 hours. Cleaned and replaced/rebuilt brushes Y/Z bearings. Put all back together, thought I would try a small carve to test my work. Never got there as I found I could not insert a bit into the chuck. I did replace the bearings on the Y truck as one was tight. Did nothing to the chuck except remove the bit. Machine was running OK when I started. Bit came out OK.
    I've tried different bits, have tried easing a tapered awl into the chuck, used a mirror to look up into it for something in the way, removed the allen screw and looked into that channel and even tried to insert a 1/4 drill bit (failed). Bit came out why won't one go back? Pulled out flex shaft and can see through.
    Haven't sprayed any type of lube/cleaner because I was afraid it might create a problem with grip while running.
    Appreciate feedback from anyone with a Rock who might have experienced a similar problem on getting a bit back in the chuck.
    Thx
    Rick H

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    2,401

    Default

    Ron Justice is the original supplier/manufacturer of the Rock Chuck and you might find some answers on his website at Cw-Parts.com. I'm not sure if he is still operational but he has a video on YouTube that covers the installation. I think you need to be sure there is a bit in the chuck before installing it on the spindle so all of the parts are aligned.

    http://www.cw-parts.com/index.html

    YouTube link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7ueGa1u_U
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-19-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    Steve

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southern Delaware
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Ron Justice is the original supplier/manufacturer of the Rock Chuck and you might find some answers on his website at Cw-Parts.com. I'm not sure if he is still operational but he has a video on YouTube that covers the installation. I think you need to be sure there is a bit in the chuck before installing it on the spindle so all of the parts are aligned.

    http://www.cw-parts.com/index.html


    YouTube link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7ueGa1u_U
    Thanks for the links, maybe it will give me some insight. Installed the chuck years ago when they first came out. Don't understand what happened. Bit will just start into the chuck and stops.
    Thx again, Rick

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southern Delaware
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Steve;

    Link for installation helped, I'd forgotten the chuck was 2 piece. Was able to remove the lower piece without dismantling the carver again. Could not see anything obvious stopping the bit, it just wouldn't go. Finally wrapped some 1500 grit sandpaper around an 1/8 inch dowel and did a cleaning. Removed the allen screw, pushed out the 'clamp' end and gave it a similar cleaning. Reassembled it and found the bit will now go in and tighten. Saw a light rusty colored dust on the sandpaper, not a lot but obviously enough to cause the problem.
    Remembered I had left the chuck without a bit in it for about 2 weeks while I did my 250 hr PM's. Won't do that again.
    Thanks again,
    Rick H

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    north ont Canada
    Posts
    2,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Ron Justice is the original supplier/manufacturer of the Rock Chuck and you might find some answers on his website at Cw-Parts.com. I'm not sure if he is still operational but he has a video on YouTube that covers the installation. I think you need to be sure there is a bit in the chuck before installing it on the spindle so all of the parts are aligned.

    http://www.cw-parts.com/index.html

    YouTube link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7ueGa1u_U
    Is he still selling parts the rock check can;t seem to send him a message
    Henry

    Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    2,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    Is he still selling parts the rock check can;t seem to send him a message

    I don"t know. There have been others in the past that have had trouble also.
    Steve

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    I think he had a house fire and was the main reason he stopped selling the chuck. I could be wrong on that. But for want2b, I'd put a light spray of oil on your internal parts, that will keep it from rusting, it is the pressure from the allen screw clamping down on the collet that holds the tool in, just my 2 worth as I do it on mine.
    CarverJerry

    ver. 1.187 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a 1.5hp Cincinnati drum vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southern Delaware
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    I think he had a house fire and was the main reason he stopped selling the chuck. I could be wrong on that. But for want2b, I'd put a light spray of oil on your internal parts, that will keep it from rusting, it is the pressure from the allen screw clamping down on the collet that holds the tool in, just my 2 worth as I do it on mine.
    I agree, do it on most but just never thought about the inside of the chuck. Live and learn as they say. Thanks to all for the feedback.
    Rick H

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Crooked River Ranch, OR
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    I don't know how far you have taken the Rock Chuck apart but.... If you remove the allen wrench headed screw you can take a small wooden dowel and insert in the hole to push the opposite end out. Exam both parts to make sure there are no burrs caused from inserting the bit (with the indented slot) in with the slot towards the back of the machine. You need that indent surface facing right or left when clamping down on the bit. Clean and slightly oil both pieces. You might also wrap that dowel with a piece of emery cloth and run back and forth in the hole to make sure the opening has no burrs where the screw and the bit intersect. Run a slightly oiled cloth or q-tip through the opening.

    Once you are sure there are no burrs you might try inserting both ends back into the chuck. The smaller insert has to be inserted with the curved surface (on the end being inserted into the machine ) facing towards the front of the machine. If, for some reason, this screw gets inserted in the wrong way it does not allow the bit to be inserted back into the chuck and/or it will not clamp down on the bit the right way. Note: All this information is coming off the top of my head as I am not at my machine and it has been quite some time since I had to remove burrs from inserting the bit the wrong way. If you have any questions please PM me and I'll double check my machine as to other possible solutions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southern Delaware
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    I don't know how far you have taken the Rock Chuck apart but.... If you remove the allen wrench headed screw you can take a small wooden dowel and insert in the hole to push the opposite end out. Exam both parts to make sure there are no burrs caused from inserting the bit (with the indented slot) in with the slot towards the back of the machine. You need that indent surface facing right or left when clamping down on the bit. Clean and slightly oil both pieces. You might also wrap that dowel with a piece of emery cloth and run back and forth in the hole to make sure the opening has no burrs where the screw and the bit intersect. Run a slightly oiled cloth or q-tip through the opening.

    Once you are sure there are no burrs you might try inserting both ends back into the chuck. The smaller insert has to be inserted with the curved surface (on the end being inserted into the machine ) facing towards the front of the machine. If, for some reason, this screw gets inserted in the wrong way it does not allow the bit to be inserted back into the chuck and/or it will not clamp down on the bit the right way. Note: All this information is coming off the top of my head as I am not at my machine and it has been quite some time since I had to remove burrs from inserting the bit the wrong way. If you have any questions please PM me and I'll double check my machine as to other possible solutions.

    Thanks for the info. All help greatly appreciated.
    Rick H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •