Thread: technique for sceuring flag case back

Default technique for sceuring flag case back

I produce several personalized flag cases a year for both retired service members and family of deceased service members. I only produce about 5-7 a year because 1. I want them to be unique, 2. I live in a military town and would never be able to complete all the requests I get, 4. I never charge for them (I consider it paying back what I owe), and 4. they are fun to make. The main body of the flag case is carved. The issue I have is the back panel which I usually make out of 1/4" oak ply and laser with service member career information, a poem, or special request from the service member or family. I normally just tape the back on if I don't have access to the actual flag and tell them that I can secure it for them if local or they can seek out Hobby Lobby to secure the back panel if not local (Hobby Lobby has been really good about doing this for free for everyone that has tried it). I want to move to something a little more user friendly for the "customer" so they can secure the back panel without access to a pin-nailer. I really hate those swinging tabs. they take away from the overall clean look of the flag case. Thoughts? ideas? Suggestions?

John

Edit: My apologies for the misspelling in the title

For my flag boxes I usually just use screws with no glue.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    For my flag boxes I usually just use screws with no glue.
    I also just use screws. My boxes are 3/4 thick and I cut a 3/8w by 1/4 deep rabbit so the back is inset and I use small brass screws (#2) to secure the back.
    Rick H.

Quote Originally Posted by want2b View Post
    I also just use screws. My boxes are 3/4 thick and I cut a 3/8w by 1/4 deep rabbit so the back is inset and I use small brass screws (#2) to secure the back.
    Rick H.
    I use the same rabbet and depth. I tried screws on a couple just didn't like the look. Was looking to see if anyone had any other thoughts. I appreciate the feedback. I may just go back to the screws to make it more customer friendly.