Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCTOBER 2018 Project of the Month - "The Victorian House Project"

Default OCTOBER 2018 Project of the Month - "The Victorian House Project"

Hello,

The Victorian House project will make a very nice addition to your foyer, hallway or any other wall space. It also makes a great house-warming gift for a friend or relative!

The pieces are carved and cut out with your CarveWright CNC machine, then layered and assembled using common wood glue. The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

There are three project files (.mpc files) included, with five separate parts arranged and sized for gluing together - all you need to do is follow the directions for a beautiful project! The text is completely customizable and the freeware TTF font Bridgnorth is included if you want to use the same style text as shown in the sample.

The finished dimensions are about: 15.5" W x 23.5" T x 2.25" D

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
    • Hanging_Plaque.mpc
    • House-sections_1-2.mpc
    • House-sections_3-4.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    Hanging Plaque: 0.75" x 7" x 24"
    Sections 1-2: 0.75" x 11" x 26"
    Sections 3-4: 0.75" x 11" x 25"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine.

3) Bridgnorth freeware font (included)

4) Sandpaper, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. You can paint the house with acrylic craft paints, or stain it, or leave it natural with only a clearcoat overall. Here’s what I used on my Victorian House sample made from Select Pine:

• One coat thinned Bulls Eye SealCoat (50/50 sealer and denatured alcohol)
    • Sanded again
    • Applied Rust-Oleum Golden Mahogany stain
    • Applied several light coats of Krylon Clear spray
    • Applied metallic gold paint pen on text areas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails all-parts_550x413.png   edge-view_550x272.png   glue-house-together550x546.png   glue-house-and-plaque550x740.png  

brownish-Victorian_House_Finished_550x733.png   Victorian_House_Plaque_430x430-w-icon.png  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 10-24-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Now I like that one ,,when it will be available in the pattern section
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Absolutely gorgeous Michael!!! Can't wait to carve this one!! Thank you for another outstanding project!!!

Wow Michael. That must have taken awhile to model.
    Steve

Thank you all!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Wow Michael. That must have taken awhile to model.
    There is a story behind this...

I made the Victorian House models back in 2007, as a challenge to myself. I wanted to see if it could be done COMPLETELY in a photo editing program using grayscale values, fills, gradients, blurs, etc. As you see, it CAN be done!

This was especially time-consuming because the human eye cannot distinguish between all 256 shades of 8-bit gray colors (we typically see differences between 30 to 60-ish shades and that's it), so I had to use the eye dropper tool a LOT, and type in grayscale numerical values to "guess/select" the gray shades I thought were close to what the carve depth equivalent would be.

I would regularly save my grayscale "models" as I went along, then import them into the CW Designer software to check/modify in the photo editor/re-save/re-check, over and over again. It took me just over 50 hours to complete the entire house set of models. It wasn't long after that, I purchased ArtCAM Professional ($10K) because I swore I would never try to create something this detailed again without proper modeling tools!

Thank goodness we have the CW 3D Modeling Suite and other modeling programs to use and it wouldn't take anywhere near that long to model something like this now. I sure wish CW had the modeling capability options back then! BUT, I'm glad I had the experience of the "grayscale torture"...put me on a much better and more efficient modeling path!
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 10-24-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    There is a story behind this...

I made the Victorian House models back in 2007, as a challenge to myself. I wanted to see if it could be done COMPLETELY in a photo editing program using grayscale values, fills, gradients, blurs, etc. As you see, it CAN be done!

This was especially time-consuming because the human eye cannot distinguish between all 256 shades of 8-bit gray colors (we typically see differences between 30 to 60-ish shades and that's it), so I had to use the eye dropper tool a LOT, and type in grayscale numerical values to "guess/select" the gray shades I thought were close to what the carve depth equivalent would be.

I would regularly save my grayscale "models" as I went along, then import them into the CW Designer software to check/modify in the photo editor/re-save/re-check, over and over again. It took me just over 50 hours to complete the entire house set of models. It wasn't long after that, I purchased ArtCAM Professional ($10K) because I swore I would never try to create something this detailed again without proper modeling tools!

Thank goodness we have the CW 3D Modeling Suite and other modeling programs to use and it wouldn't take anywhere near that long to model something like this now. I sure wish CW had the modeling capability options back then! BUT, I'm glad I had the experience of the "grayscale torture"...put me on a much better and more efficient modeling path!
    ask again when will it be available in the in the pattern section
    Henry

Now that's a really good one and definitely took grueling work and time! Great Job Michael.

That is one project I'll be acquiring just as soon as it hits the pattern store. Thank you Michael, for all the work you put into making this pattern. Looking forward to the challenge of painting this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    That is one project I'll be acquiring just as soon as it hits the pattern store. Thank you Michael, for all the work you put into making this pattern. Looking forward to the challenge of painting this one.
    Have to agree can't wait
    Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast