Thread: sometimes I hate this machine !!!!!

Default sometimes I hate this machine !!!!!

Close Cover Error. . .
    how do i find out what is causing this problem ?????

i haven't carved anything in a couple years.
    i did a test carve and fixed a bunch of stuff.
    i did three test carves this morning, every thing was fine.
    I get ready to do my project and find the little o ring is missing. off the the store to get a couple o rings. . . .
    do another test carve, every thing is fine.
    put my board in for my project . . board a hair too short . .
    fix board length in software . . .
    go back to machine, didn't make board short enough . .
    back to the software, make board shorter and adjust project to fit.
    back to machine . . .
    measuring board . . .
    CLOSE COVER PLEASE !!!!
    son of a B#*%@ !

AIN"T IT A TRIP!! Seems like there must be a gremlin that is just waiting to make a simple project into a? I think we all have been in the same point and level of frustration you are right now. My latest was when a 4 hour carve went amok.
    Not trying to be funny, just understanding your anger / disappointment. As you note you haven't used the carver a lot for a while, did the tests to check everything out. My guess would be that the 'tests' caused whatever is the problem to appear if it is a physical problem. Things dry out, get 'rusty' over time, we forget the steps, whatever. From your join date you've experience, just taken a break. I'm in a love, hate point with my machines . Love them when they work as I want, hate otherwise.
    Hope you resolve the issue and enjoy it . I can't answer why you suddenly had a close cover problem. Since the carver worked during the test carve it shouldn't be a major issue.
    Do a search on 'close cover' and the experienced members have provided the way to trouble shoot the problem way better than I could.
    Good luck and keep carving.
    Rick H

The switch could be out of alignment or the tab on the clear cover is not making good contact with the switch. With the cover closed reach in with your hand/fingers and press on the switch to see if that will clear the close cover message. If it does try loosening the screws on the switch and move out out towards the clear cover.

Also verify that the clear cover is not making contact with the dust collection attachment if you have one installed.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

checking . . .

figured out the problem ! took both ends of the switch off, sprayed contact cleaner on both ends and WA LA ! switch works. now i just have to put the machine back together hope i don't break anything while doing so.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    The switch could be out of alignment or the tab on the clear cover is not making good contact with the switch. With the cover closed reach in with your hand/fingers and press on the switch to see if that will clear the close cover message. If it does try loosening the screws on the switch and move out out towards the clear cover.

Also verify that the clear cover is not making contact with the dust collection attachment if you have one installed.
    Great idea's. One quick solution I used to do when I had to finish a carve in a hurry and I knew it was the switch not being depressed all the way in was to ball up a small slightly flattened BB shaped piece of blue masking tape with the sticky part out and place it on the tit of both switch's. Machine fired back up and the safeties still worked. I soon after ordered more switch's as I found the troublesome one would work occasionally if I blew it out really good, but would go back to the close cover error at the most opportune times.
    Hundreds attend Global Warming Protest!!!

I use a Seat Belt too... A piece of tape that is installed on the outside of the clear cover at the left switch with the lid 1/4 way up and tucked down the flex slot. So when the clear cover is closed it pulls the clear cover to the switch. You know you can troubleshoot this with sensor data on the LCD.

And just in case this problem comes back... While you have the error do a quick look at Board Sensor data.... IF you got a ZERO it is possible you have a pinched wire for the board sensor. I had this twice.... The wire pinches on the sharp edge if you pull the wire down while changing the board sensor...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08503_WEB.jpg   DSC08502_WEB.jpg   DSC08507_WEB.jpg   DSC08500_WEB.jpg  

DSC08510_WEB.jpg   DSC03168_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 10-11-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com