Thread: Using a power converter with the Carvewright for 220 to 120v

Default Using a power converter with the Carvewright for 220 to 120v

Hi all,

Has anyone tried using a power converter with the carvewright machine? I may be moving overseas and I would hate to part with my Carvewright.

I know this voids the warranty (per the faq) but since I've had my machine for quite a while I no longer have a warranty on it anyways.

Just looking if anyone has tried this, or has any suggestions on the best setup for it. I'm not so concerned with the voltage change (that's an easy switch with a converter) but I am concerned about the Hertz (50 versus 60)

Thanks

In 2007 and 2008 I was in touch with a user that had a machine in England and used it with no problem. Greybeard was his name I believe.

Because LHR has upgraded it's power supply I would contact Support and ask if they have a 220 Volt AC Power Supply. The new one may be a multi voltage version not concerned about HZ because of the way they work. See diagram.

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/anat...er-supplies/2/
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize they upgraded the power supply. I’ll contact them immediately

Just my 5 cents in the matter...

I have been running Carvewright mechines off 230V/50Hz for some time through a converter/transformer purchased in the UK that takes 230V/50Hz and delivers 110V/50Hz. I know that voids any warranty, but there are no such warranties when in Europe.

The machine seems to be happy with the power supply, even though the frequency is less than 60Hz. I believe the speed of the cutting motor may be affected, but that's not sure. I believe the motor is _NOT_ getting the same voltage as supplied to the power supply, i.e. there is no conversion there.

Cheers

P.S. My converter can deliver up to 3kW steady load, so there is room for more than one machine.
    Located at a nice spot in Europe...
    Current machines:
    • model A, QC, firmware 1.188, sandpaper belts, "brainless"
    • model A, Carvetight, rubber belts, A907, illuminated display from soigeneris (Jeff Birt)
    • 2 x model C, Carvetight, still in box

Software: Designer 3.106, Designer 1.188, Centerline, Conforming vectors, STL importer, Scanning probe, Blender (to create depth maps )

Great Answer.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com