Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic steampunk clock movement

Default Hydraulic steampunk clock movement

I've had the idea for this clock for quite some time, but only recently got to working on it. A small 12v pump continuously circulates water to the siphon. The up-and-down movement of the float drives a ratchet wheel, which in turn drives the gear set. The pump's speed will be regulated by a microcontroller to set the siphon cycle at exactly once per minute, so that the ratchet wheel will drive a minute hand directly. Right now it's running open loop at about a 40 second cycle. The gears in turn drive the hour hand. The gears are temporary, from another project, just to prove the concept. Likewise the lever and pawls are temporary. These components, along with a face and hands, will be designed in a steampunk fashion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181002_134718.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	86638

https://youtu.be/hSLD3aQXPnA

That should be awesome. I'm having enough trouble with the concept, let alone figuring out how to make it work. Will wait for the finished product.
    Thx, Rock H

That is super cool.

At some point I really need to make a wood clock. I am totally envious of your skill on them.

Great little project, wild idea, and a great video to show the operation. Thank you for sharing

Dang that is cool! Hopefully, you will sell project plans for that one!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thanks all.

Michael, not sure about selling project plans. As you well know, it takes a lot of work to prepare files, take numerous assembly photos, and write up build instructions. I got a specific request for files for one of my pendulum clocks that was not available at the 2017 Conference. I prepared the assembly instructions and posted the project, but to my knowledge not one copy has been sold. This hydraulic clock has fewer parts, but there is soldering of brass and copper tubing involved, plus some specialty parts like O rings, 1/4" copper elbows, brass sheet metal cutting, and acrylic cylinders. I'm not sure the market is large enough to support the effort. I may post the files later when complete, we'll see.

I've also posted free files for my Holy Hand Grenade and "Matilda" style box here and on Facebook, having gotten requests for them. All I asked is that if anyone makes the project to post photos. So far nada.

The more complex projects don't seem to be as popular as the weekend ones.

Well, I’m very surprised that no one (that you know if) has followed through with building one of your wonderful projects. Perhaps it is “fear” or plain old lack of time. Puzzling.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Just to be clear, A few people have built my Mystery Clock and Synchronicity, but not my latest desk clock.

Ok, now I feel better! Thank you for letting me know!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

After a considerable hiatus on this project I'm back at it to complete the clock. I've converted the mule arms and pawls to their finished form and am in progress with the electronics and software to regulate the pump to exactly a 1 minute siphon cycle. Turns out the first pump I tried will not run on low voltage and it's speed can't be regulated over a wide enough range. I've since gotten a diaphragm pump that works for this application. The hardware and software appear to be keeping accurate time - longer term testing will tell.

I'm currently working on a numerals ring and then other details including steampunk coverings for the pump. I will be using metallic paints, distressed, for finishes. This is what I used on the upper and lower tank end caps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast