Thread: Seminole spear

Default Seminole spear

This is my take on the Florida State Seminoles' spear logo. I made this for a customer whose father was a professor at the college. The customer wanted a more artistic interpretation of the logo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180921_125024.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	86613 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spear.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	86614

To understand the significance of the word "Unconquered" on the spear, http://seminoles.com/seminoles-heroi...florida-state/

To make the spear, I found and purchased an arrowhead 3D model from CG Trader and imported it using Pattern Sculptor. The feather is a quill pattern from the Pattern Depot. I used Clip Carving: Exclusive to remove the quill tip. The shaft of the spear is a modified rectangle shaped using Extrude. I added a Clone of Weathered Wood texture over that using Merge: Additive. The text is done in Centerline with Conforming vectors. The spear is a pierced carving. The spear is about 32" long, carved in pecan on Best (about 7 hours).

To lay out the spear with the appropriate dimensions, I converted the logo into a "wood", using that as a the background for my layout. (I don't have the 2D tools, which would have made this easier.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	86615
    Last edited by DickB; 09-29-2018 at 06:08 AM.

Great job, Dick! Thanks for sharing the process as well as the result!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!