Thread: Help with Badge Pattern

Default Help with Badge Pattern

I am new to 3D Modeling. I have had my carvewright for a couple of years and have only dabbled with it. I have been a graphic artist since the early 1990s. I am also a full time law enforcement officer. I have drawn my department's badge with my graphics software. I have the badge in a vector format and can convert the file using the AIConvert utility. I need help turning this badge into a carving that I can use on plaques and other projects. I am looking for someone that can convert this badge into a pattern. I am having a very difficult time transitioning from the flat world of sign graphics into the 3D world. I have attach a .jpg image of the file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sheriffs Badge Black_White For Carving.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	558.9 KB 
ID:	86584

Do you have the DXF importer? If so you can carve this as vectors.

What version of designer are you using?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I'm using version 2.007. I do not have the DXF importer. The AIConvert utility that I use converts Adobe Illustrator files into .mpc files. I can bring the badge into designer, but I am having a rough time figuring out carve regions and the proper depth for all of the elements of the badge.

Here it is in DXF format. I do not know what other add ons you have so I did not use the puffing tool to give it any shape. If just using the carve region tool it takes a lot of practice and trial and error to make it work as a pattern.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks. I do have the puffing tool. I have the following add ons: * Basic* Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Conforming Vectors * Advanced 3D * Keyhole. I have been playing with this off and on for over a year. Thanks a million!!!
    Do you think it would look better with some puffing for the balls on the tip of the points? Also, what would be the best bit to use for this carving?

For the vectors I would use the 60* bit as it is a finer point. If you do use the puffing tool for any of the areas like the balls that would make the areas a carve region and they would need to be carved with the tapered carving bit, 1/16".
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Hi kajunaviator, don’t mean to butt in, I’m Perry B from New Iberia, we are just about 3 hours away from each other,
    if you wish to meet one day drop me line. my email is PGBonin@yahoo.com
    oh Hi Floyd. What’s up my man.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Thanks Perry. I will reach out to you.