Thread: Setting up a solid font and what is the best wood

1. Default Setting up a solid font and what is the best wood

Hey guys. I am making wood flags am placing the pledge of Allegiance on the stripes of the flags I’m not quite sure how to set up the phone my first attempt the letters are too brutal and they would break off I do have the same carving kit and I’m not sure if I should just use centerline and how to set that up also have questions about the wood to use

Without seeing your project it does does sound like your text height might be to high. You can lower the height, add spacing between the letters and add some draft to help prevent chip out / breaking of the letters.

If the stripes are also a carve region then having the text carved at the same time would be an okay option. If the stripes are not carved then carving the text with centerline might be your best option.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Not that it matters, but I agree that it sounds like you may have a bit of work to do with the height and depth of the lettering and the pattern. You can change the height/depth of the font and pattern to reduce the difference in height between them. This will reduce the amount of unsupported thin wood that is liable to tear off and break off. Adding some draft to the font will also provide some support to the thin material.

Also try "Merge Style: Additive" on the font and see how that looks on the flag so that it follows the curve of the pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW flag pledge.png  

OK, I will be more direct: post your project .mpc file so we can give better advice.

Choice of wood is going to be a factor too... A wide grain pine will be weak and the letters will fall off.... Even long after it is painted. For a project like this I would look for a wood with tight grain.

I buy a clear pine at my wood supply place that comes from New Zealand of all places. It has a black sticker on it... Long leaf Pine.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com