Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z truck works - now I get a Y Axis stall error

The "Y" Gear in the "Y" Gear Box gets a lot of stress and can fail in about 250 cut hours. When they as in the 2 bearings inside the gearbox fail they start grinding down the shaft making it thinner. Even if you replace the worn bearings the thin shaft will give you problems. Like 3 clicks when the head goes to the bit plate.

So in the past, the fix was a $6.00 gear with shaft from LHR. LHR quit selling the gear and shaft. Now you must buy the $90.00 Motor and Gearbox...

Tim, a Machinist offered to make the shafts for $7.00 plus shipping. You can pop the worn shaft out of the plastic gear and replace it with one from Tim.

A worth while investment... I bought 20... Just to rebuild my worn parts and have a stash for years to come....

The more that know the better... Because this problem will NEVER go away... Even with the bigger bearing version of the gear box..... Users are reporting the SAME failure RATE as the smaller bearings...

I am also a ROCK Chuck user. Rock Chuck's are no longer made as Ron had a House Fire. SO my opinion... ANYONE who seriously uses the machine should invest in some of Tim's Replacement Shafts WHILE he is still making them... I got a price from a local Machine Shop and they were about $35.00 each.... And don't just buy one....

Because we know in the future we will see posts.... "Anyone got a extra Tim's Shaft?... I don't want to spend $90.00 and $12.00 shipping..."

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07751_WEB.jpg   DSC07752_WEB.jpg   DSC00488_WEB.jpg   LHR Order 8 2011.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 09-25-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12