Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with cut out

Default Help with cut out

I carved the attached "key" but I could only get it to cut out on half inch board. When I tried to increase the depth of the board to .75 I couldn't get the cut out buttom to lite up even after highlighting the pattern outline parts. I want more depth to the carving. Any help would be appreciated. OldKeyPTN (2).ptn

Default Need help with cut out feature

Here is the mpc....the ptn was attached to the earlier post.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I wanted to see the exact mpc that you were having trouble with, not just the pattern.

To cut out this pattern, select the pattern then use the Outline Pattern(s) tool. Apply the Cut Path tool to the outlines. Flip the outer cut to the outside.

Sometimes the outline pattern tool doesn't work correctly and, as a consequence, the cutpath tool doesn't work either . When that happens I just use the line drawing tools to trace over the path and then apply the cut path tool. In this case, I traced over the fleur-de lis and surrounding area as one line.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-03-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    Steve

As an alternative, it could be cut as a pierced project. The advantage of a pierced project is that the 1/16" carving bit can reach into the small areas where the 1/8" cutting bit can't reach. The down side is that it increases the carve time. If I was going to cut this, I would cut it as pierced and upload it to the data card with the "optimal" setting. I hate to sand.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-03-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    Steve

There are a couple tricks to try if the Outline Tool fails to create a closed vector that you can apply a CutPath to. (By the way, that is fairly rare.)

Trick 1: Rotate the PTN by just 1-degree, then apply the Outline Tool. A 1-degree rotation is usually not noticeable and it can “force” a closed vector outline to be made.

Trick 2: Resize the PTN (usually make it larger), then apply the Outline Tool. Sometimes a PTN has tight areas that cause the Outline Tool to “not fit”. Resizing smaller can make the tool ignore tight areas...making it larger allows the tool to fit into tight areas. After a good Outline is created, select both the Outline and the PTN and resize to what you wanted in the first place
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 09-03-2018 at 05:57 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thanks so much for the help...I am going to do the pierced version in Optimum as Steve suggested....Michael thanks for the tricks....I had forgotten that you have to have a completely closed circuit for the cut path to work. that makes sense.

This message is in response to a private message asking how to place manual tabs in a pierced project. I thought it would be more beneficial to respond here.

A pierced project can be achieved by outlining the pattern and then using the "Path Offset" tool to create an offset about 1/4" larger than the path. If one doesn't have the path offset tool it can be drawn using the line drawing tools. The object is to create a small space around the outside of the project. It doesn't have to be exact but the less space there is the shorter the carving time. Make the offset a pierced carve region. Then, using the line drawing tools, draw short lines across the gap. With the lines still selected, click on the "Place tabs" tool as shown in the example attached. Use the dialogue box to adjust the style, width, height, and depth. Remember, manual tabs can only be used for pierced projects.

Here is a link to a video I made awhile back showing how to make a "Pierced Heart" The section showing how to place manual tabs begins at about 10:30 into the video.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...DVKTTJuMWo4YjQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pierced Example.png   Manual tab Dialogue box.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-05-2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spelling, typing
    Steve

Just an update...I tried the piercing mpc and it carved beautifully albeit took almost six hours. I order to cut down on the time (as I need to carve several) I tried the cut path mpc as well. It kept having registration issues making the cut out on 3/4 pine I chose three passes of .25 each. The first one was a throwaway it was so badly out of registration on the first pass. The second one was out of registration on the second pass and the third attempt also had registration problems. I used masking tape for the brass roller hoping that would solve the problem but it didn't. It is a brand new Carvewright with less than 10 hours and everything else I have carved came out real well...but somehow the cut path feature is problematic for me at least. Anyone else having problems with the cut path not staying in registration?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast