Thread: How can I speed up a simple vector carve?

Default How can I speed up a simple vector carve?

Hello Everyone!
    I've had my two CW machines for 6 or 7 years now. I use them constantly, rebuilt everything on them several times, and can rebuild them in my sleep. I recently have had a request to make "faux circular saw" like cut lines across the grain of several boards, to make the face of the board to look as if it were cut on a circular saw mill. The boards will measure 8.5"x144"x3/4". I have worked out how to get the weight managable, along with the layout. When I load the project onto the card, it tells me the estimated time is a fraction of the total carve time (for example, a 24" long cut is saying it should only take around 11 minutes but takes closer to 55 minutes). I have run two different lengths of board on my CW, just as a sample. My math tells me that it will take 5.5 to 6 hours to do one board. This is problematic due to the fact that they are asking me to make at least 43 boards. Before anyone suggests it, I have the carve quality set to normal, when I switch it to draft, the estimated time only shortens by a matter of a few minutes. I am using the 3/8 jointing bit and only removing 1/32" of wood per pass with random arched grooves running the width of the board. Am I missing something? Is there any way to speed up the bit and carve speed? The cut is shallow and it is a very gentle curve vector. I think I have attached the smaller 24" long sample file, feel free to download it and open it to see what I'm trying to make. Thanks for the Help!
    Josh24 circle mill demo 7 inch 32nd deep demo mode.mpc
    Josh Link
    J. D. Link Designs
    www.jdlinkdesigns.com

2. Default

I have never tried something like you suggest, but I have to great success used instead of the carving bit used the 3/16 cutting to hollow out 2x8s to a depth of over .5" and it really didn't take long I thought. I changed your pattern to the 3/16 bit and uploaded it. Optimal was 15.31 minutes. Normal was around 11 minutes. You might want to leave it on normal, as if you have ever seen rough cut lumber, it does have wood fibers exposed. My house was built in 1888, and a number of years ago, when I did some remodeling and updating I wish I would have saved more of the actual old 2x4s and 2x8s that I tore out. I do have several coffee cans of assorted square nails however. Don't know what I will ever use them for, just cool to have! Good luck.

Never mind, I see what you were getting at now, I had a Brain F*** (comes from working nights, and not getting much sleep yesterday) I did a copy and paste of your original design after making the board 144". Try the 3/16 bit on your 24" long piece and see if it doesn't speed up the carve time. I know it works for me.
    Hundreds attend Global Warming Protest!!!

Thanks, I'll try it, I think I have a square bottomed 3/16 bit. I'll see what it does for time!
    Josh Link
    J. D. Link Designs
    www.jdlinkdesigns.com

4. Default

You could also use if you have it the 3/16 carving bit. You have an interesting idea for the saw cuts. I have been tempted to make weathered boards and weather them. Use for wainscoting. I have also been tempted to make a brick pattern on 8' boards with a stair so to speak on each end, just opposite so they rabbit together when you put them up on a wall.
    Hundreds attend Global Warming Protest!!!

If I were doing this project I would make a router swing jig. A Circle Jig mounted on a track system offset where you index the board manually then cut a arc, index, arc...

This project is like making molding with the CW... Not the best tool for the job.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al,
    Always the voice of reason and common sense. I love your idea, unfortunately I have to match existing trim pieces and this is the only way to get them exactly the same. I will still borrow your idea and come up with that jig for future trim pieces. It's always good to have a genius to bounce ideas off of! Thanks!
    Josh Link
    J. D. Link Designs
    www.jdlinkdesigns.com

I like to think outside the box on things as in my many WAG's for troubleshooting... Wild AL Guesses.... Wrong most of the time but it gives food for thought.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com