Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Man in the tree

Thanks Floyd, years ago I ordered a pack of those bearings because of a post here and not really knowing exactly what they were for, now I know and will be checking it out while I have things apart.

Update, Floyd..that was a good call on the Y motor bearing. The shaft looked good still but the bearing was really hard to turn and those bearings I got a few years ago were the ones for the motor. While I was at it I took the Z pack out and the bearing there was good. The cover switch wires do plug into the back of the Y board just like you said. Figured I'd check the cut motor brushes too, another good call as you can see in the picture new one and old ones. Thanks for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brushes.jpg  
    Last edited by CarverJerry; 09-17-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Updated
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Ok, I got my machine back up and running. Carved the man in the tree (wood spirit) and just wanted to show how I used it. I did something different for the finish, have no idea how well it will hold up but I used fiberglass resin on both sides and edges. Time will tell how it holds up to mother nature and her elements. Thanks for all the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tree pic.jpg   tree pic2.jpg  
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

CarverJerry

It looks really nice! Thanks for sharing your experiences and finishing technique!

Jerry,

That looks so scary. lol. If you are walking up your driveway at night and just glanced up it would freak me out so much. I looks like its coming out of the tree.

It looks awesome. Nice work on it.

Really nice carve Jerry.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

I would have to agree, looks awesome. The only thing I would worry about with the fiberglass resin finish would be yellowing.

Mugsowner, well I thought about that also, and if that happens then I'll carve another one and do it with composite wood, just didn't have any at hand. Thanks for all the complements.
    CarverJerry

Have you ever worked with spar urethane? It is my first choice when looking to seal an outdoor item. My father turned me on to it years back, telling me that is was what they used on the ships when he was in the Coast Guard. I have a couple gate signs in northern Wisconsin, that have been out there for over five years now and still looking good. Just something to keep in mind.

Mugsowner, I have not used that but it is now on my "To get" list. Thanks for the tip.
    CarverJerry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123