Thread: Hand crank will not engage

Default Hand crank will not engage

About to start a new project. Cranking head down. When it got in place the hand crank quit engaging. Now the hand crank simply spins and will not engage. Have not figured out how to inspect it. Any help would be appreciated

Remove the crank handle and spring to see if the torque plate is broken or not. Page 9 part 147.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...ist_manual.pdf
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks very much fwharris. I think you are right and will order one today. Can you tell me where to find instructions on replacing it? Can you replace it through the hole when the crank handle and spring are removed?

Before you order the parts:

So the head is part way down?

1. Just know that if it is all the way up, it can get past the threads and need to be primed by turning the threaded shaft INSIDE the right side of the machine. Near the Bit Flag the threaded rod has a hole to insert a 1/8th inch drill bit and turn the threaded shaft to prime the threads.

2. Be sure the hand crank screw is not loose and the handle has pulled out.... but still attached... Push in while turning slowly to re engage then tighten screw.

3. I see you have joined in 2007 with only 3 posts... Could be the grease on the 4 smooth rails that the head slides up and down on are DRY. This prevents easy movement of the up and down of the head. Running WD-40 down the 4 bushings helps loosen things up.

4. After all this order parts... or at least call LHR and have the Hardware Tech go through a check list with you. They are pretty good at pointing you in the right direction.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Great tips Al, especially #2, this happened to me 2 weeks ago and I was starting to take the side off of the CW when it hit me. The head would go up and down if I pushed in on the handle and cranked it. I checked the handle screw and it was loose. Then I decided if that loosened then maybe it was time to check every screw that I was able to, including at the bottom of the CW. I do regular maintenance but maybe overlook the obvious little things.