Thread: what type of files can I import?

1. Default what type of files can I import?

Hi All,

It is me again, I have a png picture that I saved as a SVG file, however when I try to import SVG it tells me it is not a recognized graphic format? I am including the png & svg file. Could someone tell me how I import this? I am really trying to learn so if someone could give me the steps to follow so that I can learn. I greatly appreciate any help you can send my way. Again Thank you in advance.

LoriblackdogAttachment 86426 Ps would not let me upload svg File

These are the image file formats that can be imported into Designer.. Graphics, such as photos or logos, can be in imported from in JPEG, BMP, GIFF, MNG, XPM or PNG formats.

STL importer only imports STL file format and DXF importer only imports DXF file format.

SVG file and what it is... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graphics
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Where to start.

Your png file is basically a picture of a 3D image or pattern. A picture is not the same thing as a 3D pattern. It is not going to yield a good result if you try to import and carve it.

You can get good results importing and carving a png height map, but not a png picture.

Here is the difference between a png height map and a picture, and the results:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Height map vs picture.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	763.9 KB 
ID:	86429

An svg file is a 2D format; I'm sure that you want a 3D format. I'd say your file saved as svg is worthless for Carvewright.

Post a link to the source of your png file and I may be able to offer more help.

From another thread, I'm guessing that your dog png file was copied from a 3D modeling web site's thumbnail. That thumbnail is not a pattern itself and is not going to work. Again, you captured a 2D picture which, to the eye gives 3D clues, but contains no 3D information useful to Carvewright. If you purchase the pattern, the site will send the pattern in three different 3D formats, including STL, which you can then import to make a nice carving.

5. Default

The picture came from my post under technics, where someone gave me 3 pictures, I chose the middle one. You state a png height map is better than a png picture. I have googled png height map it is on terrain? How would I make a png height map from my picture that I posted? Is that possible? I have inkscape and blender will either of these help me. I appreciate any help you can send me. I also have 3d and stl importer. I am trying to learn how to do this. Thank you advance.

Loriblackdog

A png height map is simply a means of storing and transmitting a 3D object. 3D objects can be stored and transmitted in many formats. Carvewright uses height maps and STL formats.

You need to think in terms of 3D models, not the file format. As I stated before, you cannot easily turn a 2D picture into a 3D model. So, you cannot easily turn your horse image into a 3D model and then save it as a height map. it matters not that you are going from one png file to another - that has no bearing on the difficulty. You need to either create or get a 3D model, irrespective of the file format in which it is stored. BTW there are many programs and web sites that can convert 3D models from one file format to another.

Unless a png, bmp, jpg, or whatever file format is specifically categorized as a height map, forget about it. It is going to require 3D design skills at some level to be of use.

Learning how to create 3D models, whether you use inkscape or blender or whatever, is not easy. To acquire the skills to make a horse head 3D model of the quality that you have would take many months of dedicated work I expect. Since you have STL Importer, I would suggest that you concentrate on acquiring 3D models rather than creating them. Or at least do this while you learn how to create 3D models in parallel.

The easiest way to acquire 3D models suitable for carving is to do as you were advised. Go to the site that has the horse head and buy the 3D model. The models on that site were designed specifically for carving, and can be imported into Designer with a minimum of skill and effort. I would strongly recommend that you do this a few times to develop the skills to do this. You will get very good carving results with minimum effort. Difficulty level 1.

Next in difficulty is to acquire 3D models not necessarily designed for carving. You can find many free models of this type. Often they are designed for 3D printing, but can also often be good carving subjects. Thingverse is a good site for free 3D models. Here is a horse head that can be downloaded in STL format for free:
    Importing this into Designer to result in a good quality carving is not going to be as easy as importing a pattern designed for carving. You are going to need to learn addition STL Importer skills to get a good result. You will also find these models often need to be run through (for lack of a better term) "cleanup" software before STL Importer will accept them. This will not be necessary with 3D patterns designed for carving. I strongly suggest you carve one if not a few 3D models designed specifically for carving before you attempt this. Difficulty level 3.

BTW Pattern Sculptor also can import 3D files in STL format, and has features that make it easier to convert a 3D model into a pattern suitable for carving onto a flat board, such as a plaque, which seems to be what most Carvewright users are doing. This feature of Pattern Sculptor is often overlooked. For the type of carving that you are doing, a plaque, I would have recommended Pattern Sculptor over STL Importer.

Highest in difficulty is to design your own 3D models. Difficulty level 10.

Again, I suggest that you will get better results more quickly by acquiring 3D models rather than learning how to create 3D models from scratch, or from a photo or picture, on your own. Do you want to wade in gradually from the shallow end of the pool (difficulty level 1), or dive off the high board into the deep end (difficulty level 10)?

Quote Originally Posted by Loriblackdog View Post
    The picture came from my post under technics, where someone gave me 3 pictures, I chose the middle one. Loriblackdog
    To clarify, those thumbnails were not meant for you to cut and paste the images into Designer. The were renderings or pictures of what the resulting carving of the 3D pattern or model would look like. Useless as 3D models themselves. If you chose the middle one, follow Michael T's link later on and go purchase the 3D model which produced that rendering.