Thread: Trying to learn 3d & STL??

1. Default Trying to learn 3d & STL??

Hi All,

I recently added the 3d and stl, I am now trying to learn what to do under the 3d and what to use stl importer for? I have a picture of a German Shepard face that I want to use. Does anyone have a tutorial I could follow? Or is there something I can read on this. Everyone has been so nice in helping me so once again I thank you all so very much. I am enclosing the photo that I am trying to use. I am not sure do I do 3d or stl first? I look forward to any help you can send my way.

Loriblackdog

The STL importer is for importing already made 3D models into designer so that would not be your option on this.

Here is some tutorials on the 3d modeling tools http://support.carvewright.com/categ...odeling-suite/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

3. Default

Hi FW,

Thank you clarifying what the stl does. I have bookmarked the tutorials. Thank you and Have a Great Day
    Loriblackdog

Lori,

The stl importer opens up an entire world of possible patterns. There are a bunch of websites that offer free stl models. It will take a little bit of practice to get the hang of how to use the importer. Not all 3d models make good cnc patterns.

Also the most common 3d format is ".obj" so find a software package that can convert ".obj" to ".stl". I use blender but there are many programs that can do that.

Here is a project to play with and practice. I reduced the geometry so I could upload on here but it's an stl object you can practice with. Its the rifle scope I just posted on the shared section. You will have to rotate it and bisect and slice to get a decent pattern from it using the stl importer.

But you are not limited to getting the same pattern that I shared. You can try different angles and different slices to change the pattern profile.

Just have fun and start seeing what is possible. It doesn't happen over night. I have been playing now for 5 years and I am still learning.

Regards,
    Oscar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rifle scope basic.png   CW rifle scope basic.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

EdZBaker_Photo_CarvingPrep_Instructions.pdf

this will help if thats what you are wanting to do. there are others for stl importer and 3d suite
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.