Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resistance when I mentioned I wanted to start a wood working business

Lesuer, when I read your post I had to reply. I too considered accounting at one point in my life thinking that it would solve my problem of supporting my family after becoming "disabled", even though I did not care for that vocation (I ended up in two other occupations, but that is another story). If for no other reason than your mental health, do not try to support your family with a job that you don't like!
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Thanks to everyone for all of the encouragement and things to think about. I really enjoyed reading all of your posts. I want to take the plunge, but cannot without full support of my family. Alot of you have mentioned mental health being a problem at a job you hate, I have been hearing friends and fam tell me that for 2 years. My wife mentioned "maybe mcdonalds is hiring" haha! She is ready for me to move on cause she wants to see me happy, but she is not ready for the risk of a business.

What I might be able to do is teach my 9 year old son how to create signs, and then I'll just cut the wood for him so he can feed it into the machine. He would love it and it would be a great way to teach him a skill. He can then post the items online and maybe we can grow the business organically while I work.

About accounting...

I do like accounting, and the people I work with are really great, they are just not great to work with. I am use to mechanics, service members, shoot I even had a great time working with the nurses at the hospital. I sat down with a vet yesterday for lunch and we just talked for an hour about how great the military community is, and how we would do anything to get back in! Anyway, I would work for myself as an accountant, but unfortunately I just am not "gifted" in it, and don't have the knowledge required to go off on my own. I know more about wood working and auto mechanics then I do about accounting, even though I have been working as one for 3 years, and have gone to school for it 4 years! Accounting makes sense to me, but its not natural like tangible things are.

Beside the woodworking business I am also considering going back to school as I have GI Bill benefits left. I am just not sure what to go back for, but I have tossed around the idea of getting my MS in accounting, maybe it would help fill in any knowledge gaps, and I could do taxes and bookkeeping on the side like some of you mentioned. If you had 2 years of free school, and wanted to go back, what would you do?

Hi Lesuer27; I don't use my CarveWright unit for a full time Business. I belong to Club Wyndham and use there Condos to travel across the USA - To offer my Wood Carvings for sale.

Do you know how to make the CarveWright wood patterns? It helps a lot if you do not need to buy all your pattern files. I print all my own Business Cards with my carving images on the back side. and my address and Email on the other side.

I could send you some samples if you "PM" me your Email address. I don't use my Phone Number for my Business; It messes up the book keeping. If you send me a Line Drawing, of an image you would like me to try to make for you. I have lots of Customers that do that; I work on donations for that service. I live in Yellville, AR 72687. I also use my PO Box 652, Yellville, AR 72687-0652 for my Business.

I live on a small home place, 10 Acres, I have a shop full of wood working tools, Two Carvewright units, A band saw Mill that cuts 16 inch 24 feet long logs. I dry and plain all my carving wood. I like making Clocks. and rectangle carvings that fit in the US Post office mailing boxes; three carvings can fit in them. I started this in 2007 and have over 5000 pattern files. I turned 80 years old last May, not sure how long I will keep this up. BJB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Card Print 4.jpg   Card 8-CW.PNG   Card 7-cw.PNG   Card 1-CW.PNG  

Card Print 1.jpg   ELK fence_DISP-cw-.png   ELK fence_DISP-.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

4. Default

Not to put a damper on things, but my woodshop is for hobby carving. Iv gone to numerous shows and no one wanted to pay what it costs to make. So I continue on doing what I love, but as my hobby. I'm retired so I can afford to spend 8 to 10 hours on a single project.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It is about finding a niche that needs filling in your area or market. This is also a hobby for me and I mostly give my projects away or sell at cost but I would love for this hobby to be able to pay for itself some day.

I live near a military base that has two excellent plaque stores and on-base wood shop that supports that population so my market is a bit saturated. It hurts my ego a little but they are also better than me. I buy my lumber from the base wood shop. They also have a full size cnc machine (4'x8') and several large format engraving laser to support the base craft projects.

BJB, you have a few more decades in you. We need to see the century mark though I am only half way there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12