Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still working through air carving problem. Need help on the calibration of depth.

Default Still working through air carving problem. Need help on the calibration of depth.

I have worked on checking the depth calibration of the Z truck. It instructs me to remove the bit and board and I get two numbers. At the lowest crank: 51.53 and 154.59. It asks me to set the depth of the board. The number entry is supposed to allow for up to three digits as a decimal. It will not accept 075 as a 3/4 calibration - it deletes the 0 then states that the board is over 1" thick. I have played with both left and right arrows and eventually I get a note to reboot the machine. The version check shows it is on the correct version. I programmed the board in the design as 1/2" and it made a very shallow outline of the pattern. Is this a pad error and I need a new pad - is it a ztruck error? Should I upgrade to the Ctight truck? I sent message to the company and did not get a response yesterday morning. Today of course they are closed. I am trying to get a project done. I am refurbishing an heirloom cedar chest for some folks after it took a float in Harvey. The bottom rails and supports were damaged - I need a decorative carve across the top of the replacement boards. I am stuck going no where fast with this issue. I appreciate all of the time you folks put into answering questions and providing expertise. I love my Carvewright and would go with anything else. Vicki in Cypress Texas

To input a board thickness of 3/4" either input 3/4 or .75 .
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    To input a board thickness of 3/4" either input 3/4 or .75 .
    Of course -duh. It comes back with a calibration range Error- think that is the problem. I measured the board with a sterrett - precisely .75 - I tried the depth check both ways and then went incrementally up and down and still got the error code within a 1/4 each way.

Is it possible you are not entering the decimal point like .75 ?? The keypad has a decimal point.

Just asking the obvious....
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Is it possible you are not entering the decimal point like .75 ?? The keypad has a decimal point.

Just asking the obvious....
    At first you are right I was not entering it correctly. Now I have both as a decimal and as a fraction. The board is a sound 3/4 measured by a Starett square and it was one of a load I planed for barrel staves to an exact 3/4. I get a calibration range error now. I moved the entry measurement up and down incrementally and always get the same error out to 1/4 inch either way. I am searching for a way to re-calibrate or fix the depth function now.

As far as I know, the depth calibration is really a board thickness calibration and it does not have anything to do with your problem. If the bit touches the bit plate and the top of the board, the bit should carve properly into the board. If it does not, then there is a software or hardware problem.

Since you have reformatted the card, software would seem to be eliminated, unless, it is the card itself. Trying another card would be good.

You should check that the z encoder is working properly. It could have dust in it or the encoder disk could be damaged or loose. The FFC ribbon or its connections could also be the problem.

Another possibility is that the factory z calibration has been forgotten by the EEPROM. Only LHR can help if that is the case.

Any chance your bit flag is bent up or down 1/4 inch?
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    As far as I know, the depth calibration is really a board thickness calibration and it does not have anything to do with your problem. If the bit touches the bit plate and the top of the board, the bit should carve properly into the board. If it does not, then there is a software or hardware problem.

Since you have reformatted the card, software would seem to be eliminated, unless, it is the card itself. Trying another card would be good.

You should check that the z encoder is working properly. It could have dust in it or the encoder disk could be damaged or loose. The FFC ribbon or its connections could also be the problem.

Another possibility is that the factory z calibration has been forgotten by the EEPROM. Only LHR can help if that is the case.
    I agree with you - it is odd that it does hit the strike plate and finds the surface correctly but the pattern carving does not go to the proper depth. It is also a problem that the board depth calibration always gives me an error. I will check the z encoder and the ribbon. Then I think I am stuck waiting until I can talk to someone. Thank-you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Any chance your bit flag is bent up or down 1/4 inch?
    The bit is straight and it does it with different bits. But it is an older machine with the quick change bit and not the carvetight. I wonder if that is the difference?

OK I don't know where the Z encoder is - the support documents do say that calibration could be off if there is dirt in the encoder. It doesn't tell me where it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast