Thread: Creating Patterns

Default Creating Patterns

What software do y'all use to create 3D patterns/objects?

I'm an intermediate graphic designer, and can use Adobe Illustrator to create a lot of objects, but have trouble creating rounded, 3D ones like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97827.851664 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	86237

Most of what I can create with Illustrator is "stair step" 3D, where flat layers are stacked on top of each other (if that makes sense). I don't mind purchasing objects, when I can find them, but I'm unable to find objects for many of the projects I want to do.

I use various techniques but one of the easiest is to import free 3D stl files into Pattern Sculptor. As an example, here is a Star Wars clock from a 3D stl file:

Name:	20161022_105606.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	384.8 KB 
ID:	86238

Pattern sculptor add-on is probably the easiest real 3d software solution.

If you have the stl importer add-on then other options open up. I use blender 3d (free) and z-brush ($$) to create 3d models which I then import using the stl importer into designer. The learning curve is very high though.

There are several 3d modeling tools out there that range from a free/little pricey to "I need a second mortgage!". As a benefit you can render 3d objects as images or animations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eling_software

There are also 2d software that can give you depth map solutions with mixed results. I use Shadermap 4 for that but there are several programs that do the same. The learning curve is low to intermediate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails olgwoodart initro.png  

Thanks for the info so far.

Yea, I've purchased a few .stl models, and they work great, but I can't always find a model of what I want, or what I do find isn't exactly what I want.

I'll check out Blender 3D...looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgav34 View Post
    What software do y'all use to create 3D patterns/objects?

I'm an intermediate graphic designer, and can use Adobe Illustrator to create a lot of objects, but have trouble creating rounded, 3D ones like this:

Name:	97827.851664 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	86237

Most of what I can create with Illustrator is "stair step" 3D, where flat layers are stacked on top of each other (if that makes sense). I don't mind purchasing objects, when I can find them, but I'm unable to find objects for many of the projects I want to do.
    Hi; I like to change my images to a Grayscale image. The CW unit uses the Binary Code to control the Router bit. White carves on the top of the pattern and Black carves on the bottom of the pattern. Unless it is a negative image. I like to start with line drawings. I like to use (Vector Magic) to make the image into a vector form. and then use ShaderMap Pro. program to make the pattern into a Grayscale image. Black is (0001) White is (0256). The center is Binary 0128 - That gives you a 3D look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 97827.png   97827_DISP.jpg  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 07-21-2018 at 07:22 AM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.