Thread: STL or PNG ?

Default STL or PNG ?

I have a file that is available in both STL and PNG format. I have STL Importer but was wondering if one format has an advantage over the other in creating a pattern?

If the png is a greyscale height map and the STL is under 99mb in file size, either one will work.

Im assuming the greyscale and STL are comparable quality/detail created by the designer of the model.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-07-2018 at 07:26 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I think the answer to the question may be "it depends".

Here is a pretty good explanation of the STL file format: https://www.3dsystems.com/quickparts...at-is-stl-file
    The STL file of a cube is perfectly defined by 12 triangles, and so would be perfectly detailed. The file of a curved surface, like a ball, cannot be perfectly defined by triangles - it can only be approximated. The amount of detail in a ball STL file is limited by the size of the file.

PNG files are pixelated. If a PNG file of a ball (or dome) has many more pixels than the STL file has triangles, it may be more accurate. If it has fewer, it may not be as accurate. Sort of.

Since you have both formats, I would try both and see if there is any difference.

A .png file is a flat 2D picture. The import process will try to determine a depth by the colors or shading.
    An .stl file is a 3D file with height, width and depth. It will import as a 3D file and will not try to determine the depth based on color or shading.
    Steve

Thanks for the explanations, that clears it up somewhat.