Thread: flutuation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default flutuation

I know somebody can solve this quickly. When I start up my machine to carve a pattern I get a power fluctuation error. I restart my machine about 5 times( it runs for about 30 seconds each time)..After restarting it a few times It runs through the rest of the project no problem. I had The power company check my incoming current. No Problems. I kept a meter on the circuit while running, No fluctuation.

Here is where having a second machine really helps. Sounds like a power supply board problem. For me, I would roll the power supply board between machines. Check all the connections inside underneath (remove bottom cover).
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I only have one machine Clint, But thanks so much for your solution. I guess I can just buy a new power supply board. Is that something Carvewright would sell me? BTW, I just shut the machine down for about 15 minutes to download and start a new job, no problem on the restart.

Quote Originally Posted by kwbcpastor View Post
    I know somebody can solve this quickly. When I start up my machine to carve a pattern I get a power fluctuation error. I restart my machine about 5 times( it runs for about 30 seconds each time)..After restarting it a few times It runs through the rest of the project no problem. I had The power company check my incoming current. No Problems. I kept a meter on the circuit while running, No fluctuation.
    Are you sure that there is nothing else using the same circuit? EG. vacuum, fan, refrigerator.
    Steve

Yes, the plug is in my shop. Those receptacles are on a separate circuit. I have a 100 amp breaker box with 12 breakers. I tried it on another breaker on the other side of the shop, and it did the same thing. 4 or 5 restarts after a 20 to 30 second run each. Then it would run without stopping for the next hour and 45 minutes. Put on a new job. It ran fine. Seems to happen only on a cold start. It seems to do it when I first start up the machine after being idle for the night.

Does sound like power supply problem. Here are some of their parts. https://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=254

I agree it is likely a power supply board. The "A" Series Machines had a problem with the L2 Coil Choke on the 5 volt line. It would snap one of the leads and then touch and not touch. A fix before they snapped was more RTV or Glue to hold it to keep it from vibrating. As vibrating was like taking a piece of 14 gauge house wire and bending it over and over until it changed color and snapped. Since the L2 is in series with the output voltage when it opens or loose contact you get a power failure or if it is being held by glue BUT broken, a power fluctuation.

What model is it? "A", "B", "C", "CX" ? This is only a "A" Problem unless someone put in a "Referbished" Power Supply in that had a partially failed L2 Coil then glued it...

I would put a Incandescent lightbulb in the same outlet and watch it closely or even put a video camera on it... Watching for a dimming of the lamp like when your house "AC" kicks in... I know you have a 100 Amp Service but the 200 amp home service may have some Freezers or AC on the same phase...

I know you had this checked but before you spend all that money on the Power Supply it would be good to explore all possibilities... EVEN moving the machine to the home 200 amp service for a test project to see if the problem is in the machine or the home power... Even ask a neighbor to let you run a project in his garage...

I know power... I wired my shop and home with 200 amp service and the inspector ended up being the son of the guy that taught me in 1975. Said I did nice work.

Here is the L2 Coil Problem Pictures.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03707_WEB.jpg   DSC03713_WEB.jpg   DSC03710_WEB.jpg   DSC03700_WEB.jpg  

DSC03694_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

WOW AL!! no doubt you know your stuff here. I will try running the machine from garage attached to the house and running off the house power. I think I have the CX machine. I bought it in 2015. I did put a volt meter in the receptacle outlet above my machine plug and watched as I initiated the startup. There was not much variation in the voltage, it was 118.8-119.8. I also switched receptacles to the other phase coming into the shop it was 119.8-120. I tighten all of the grounds coming in and going out. I got the same results on both sides of my power out. But I will try it in the house. Oh, I forgot to mention, sometimes it cuts off( JUST A 1/2 SECOND) and starts right back all by itself! THAT WAS PROBABLY IMPORTANT,SORRY.

Betting it is just a bad power supply then... It happens.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I just took the bottom off the machine. Gave all the little screws a tighten, slightly loose. I feel more comfortable now that I've looked inside for the first time. It should be easy to change out. Let's see how it goes from this point. Is there any way to run the motor with out a project? You all have got me on the right track! I got another suggestion from Carol this morning. Plan to look at that!