Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calibration range error

Hi Steve,

I’m not sure why some have trouble and some do not. Things to check have been covered pretty well here and in the Support Section of the CW website. I feel it’s got to be at least “one” of those issues that are the source of problems.

Correct placement of the jig and even head and head pressure are perhaps the most critical. The Jig is such a simple mechanism, there’s not much that can be “defective” it seems to me.

It does bother me that some folks wrestle with it and cant enjoy it as intended.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Steve,

I’m not sure why some have trouble and some do not. Things to check have been covered pretty well here and in the Support Section of the CW website. I feel it’s got to be at least “one” of those issues that are the source of problems.

Correct placement of the jig and even head and head pressure are perhaps the most critical. The Jig is such a simple mechanism, there’s not much that can be “defective” it seems to me.

It does bother me that some folks wrestle with it and cant enjoy it as intended.
    I bothers me also but what bothers me more is that I can't enjoy it as intended. Although it may be a factor, I really don't think that it is all "user error". The design of belts rolling on belts and the geared tooth belt rolling on smooth idler pulleys may be factors also.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-29-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    Steve

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Things to check have been covered pretty well here and in the Support Section of the CW website. I feel it’s got to be at least “one” of those issues that are the source of problems
    All I can say is, I have gone over all of those things again and again and again. I posted photos and video of me following the directions and support information to the letter. Every tip and trick, I tried. If you want to say "user error," go ahead, but please look at the video and photos and tell me what the user error is.

Unfortunately, it’s impossible to tell from the video whether you are doing anything wrong. I would have to be with you in person to observe first-hand, and put it in your machine myself.

I would also also check to make sure your head is Level so that it is applying even pressure from one end of the Jig to the other.

I would check to see if the rubber belts are interfering with the Calibration, as well. The data for rotation/travel comes from the brass roller. That data is shared with data of the x motor. Data comparison never matches, so the computer makes small corrections in real time. If anything is goofing with the data at either end of the jig, the calibration will be off. So it is important the head is Level, jig is secure in proper position and head pressure is neither too low nor too high (squishing the jig too much and possibly throwing off the data).

i would also check your MPC and project settings while at the machine for correctness.

Can you move next door to me, please? It would make troubleshooting a lot easier!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I spent quite a bit of time experimenting with the rotary jig to determine why it is so sensitive to head pressure. My many rail driven prototypes were not sensitive to head pressure at all. My conclusion was that the problem is caused by the use of smooth idler pulleys with the timing belt. Squeezing the teeth of the timing belt against these smooth pulleys alters the effective length of the timing belt as it rolls along. This distortion would vary with head pressure.

Since this system is so sensitive, the cause in this case, may be difficult to determine:

Maybe you need to shift the rubber belts on the CW closer to the squaring plate. (Is the timing belt completely on the CW belts?)

Maybe the rubber damper under the board sensor is missing or not pressing the brass roller hard enough against the timing belt.

Maybe the jig is pressing the board sensor down so far that the O ring is rubbing on the front CW belt.

Maybe you have the wrong O ring on the board sensor? (Try taking it off.)

Maybe the timing belt manufacturer has changed the properties of the rubber belt. Maybe you need a different belt.

That is all I can think off at the moment! I hope you get it working.
    Last edited by bergerud; 06-29-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: sp

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123