Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning, How to stop it.

Default Burning, How to stop it.

Hello. I am making some awards for a golf tournament and have been carving for almost 3yrs now on the CarveWright. I still have not figured out how to get rid of the burn marks on all my cut I do. Does anyone know how to prevent this? It is also because it is carving at such a slow speed with crazy fast revolutions. If only there is a way to increase the speed of the route it would be a lot better. Anyways any.help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Burning is not normal. On what type of cuts is this happening - V carve, cutouts? Are you using Carvewright bits? Pictures would help.

Burning is usually caused by a dull bit. Try changing bits even if you are using a new one. Possibly a bad bit.
    George

Burning also happens with high moisture wood.

Not cleaning your bits to remove pitch build up is probably the #1 cause for them burning.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thank you all for your responses. I do clean my bits after every use. So there is no build up on the actual Cutting Edge of the bit. The type of carving that I am doing is cut outs but doing a cut path with a 3/16 Roman ogee the actual carvewright bit. And trust me nobody makes a 3/16 Roman ogee bit available because I've gone to five different stores and it seems like carvewright is the only one that I can get it from. I will attach a picture of the award that I have done with the burn marks. Let me know what you guys think. ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	15297103798898446246369744898382.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	86124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15297104818175187086348840382507.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	86125.

Do you have a router table or router? I have only once did routing with the CarveWright and had similar problems. I now use my router table only. I'm not saying it can't be done, I not sure if you can use the bit in multiple passes to get the depth you want. I have heard that routing with your machine could cause more ware and tear than normal carving. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Bob

I do have a router and a table. It's just that I am doing 16 of these and it makes sense to use the machine for productivity and producing the product. I might try and just cut the figure and shape out then take it to the router table. It's just one more step into the process doing it that way.

I have never done a cut like that, but based on my router experience I would agree that the speed of cut is too slow. I would try a test cut with a new bit, even if it were not the Roman Ogee, just to rule out bit sharpness. But then I would contact Carvewright technical support and/or Connie. On the surface, this looks like a problem that only they can fix. I suspect not many users are making this type of cut, and Carvewright may be unaware. Meantime I would employ the work-around that you suggested.

10. Default

Thank you Dickb, I appreciate your comments and your advice. I think I will go ahead and give Tech a call and see what they suggest and also let them know if they are unaware of what this bit is doing. Hopefully they have a solution maybe there is some type of setting or some type of program that I can or it will allow me to slow down the speed. Because like I said at the beginning is definitely is an issue of going too slow and therefore causing it to burn. I do have a lot of experience with routers and this is exactly what happens when you go too slow. I just wish there was an option so that I could change the speed myself. I think carvewright is a good program and a good machine I'm just not enough options to run manually yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast