Thread: X-Drive Gear

Default X-Drive Gear

Having about 38 hours on my machine, what caused my X-Drive Gear to wear out? The small gear that is between the two outer large ones wore down to nothing. Any advice on how to prevent this would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Head pressure to high and/or board stuck/wedged in machine will cause to much pressure on the X drive and cause the gears to fail.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Tapered wood as in the thickness of the wood. Like posted above, acts like a wedge and jams the machine. The plastic gears are like Mechanical "Fuses" and strip it's teeth. If they replaced the gears with brass then a jam could burn out the servo motor or the servo motor driver on the main computer board. And a main computer board is very expensive as are servo motors. So this is the safety valve of the machine. The X Drive uses the gear box to generate the torque to push around heavy boards. All 3 servo motors are the same, the Z has the least load on it. The Y does the most work and is why you need to plan to replace the two 685ZZ Bearings at about 250 cut hours when you also change the cut motor brushes.

The 3 Servo Drivers on the main board.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02628_WEB.jpg   DSC02630_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-19-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com