Thread: flip board with consequences

Default flip board with consequences

On my old machine I could put a circle on the first side of a board, flip the board and put another circle on the other side, and they would be excactly in line. On my new machine these two circles are slightly off which causes problems as I use this feature to mount the peice onto my lathe.How to adjust this?

I would do a calibration of the Y Axis. Something I have never done...
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

If you are off in the Y direction, you may need to calibrate the Y offset. If so see: https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...al+calibration

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    If you are off in the Y direction, you may need to calibrate the Y offset. If so see: https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...al+calibration
    I've tried recalibration using that sight with little success. Is there a planer explanation of how to do this. My machine overcorects ea. time that I put in a new value.

Sorry, I do not know of a simpler explanation. That is the method I use. Post your numbers and we can check for what is going wrong.

Starting I have 2.73 from near board edge to rectangular carved region and 2.86 from far board edge to far carved region edge.
    I went to cal y offset where the default (factory) is .057 and the current is -0.030.
    I pressed #2 for away.
    I put in 1/2 of the difference (2.86 minus 2.73= .13 divided by 2= .065).
    I recarved and now have 2.84 near board edge to carved region and 2.75 from far board edge to far carved region edge, so it moved the carving away .11 inch. but still not centered. What next would you advise? Thank you for any help.

Your numbers do not really make sense to me, but you did not include the current offset in the calculation:

New offset = Current offset+(right offset-left offset)/2

If I recall, you either have to change the current offset to 0.00 first or include it in the calculation. (I just drill a shallow center hole; just use the carving bit.)

By Jove! I think you just taught an old dog a new trick. Thank you so much for hanging in there !