Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to, wavy flag

Default How to, wavy flag

Hello,

I have found some nice looking wavy flags that are hand carved and was wondering how it could be done with the carvewright. Im not asking for a project / pattern but to learn how to do it.

Do you have the 3D Pattern Modeling add-on, or are you willing to purchase it? That would be the easiest way.

The simple answer is yes. The carvewright machine, within its form factor limitation, is very capable. But how you build them depends.

It depends on which add-ons you have. Designer basic can do them as well but it just takes a little bit more time and effort. They have to be done in building steps.

Each add-on uses different workflows in building patterns.

You can also use 2d software and 3d software to create depth map images that can be ported into designer. Here is an example. I spent like 60 seconds in making it so not great but you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blank waving flag.png   CW blank waving flag.png  

I bought the ultimate package so it has the 3d modeling suite.

thanks for replying I have 3d modeling suite and I downloaded blender and inkscape. I figured the system could probably do it just need to learn how to design.

Congrats! You have all the tools to build any type of pattern you need. I'll defer to other members for the 3d add-on techniques. I don't have that one.

Also, I do not recommend blender if you already have the 3d modeling suite. Unless you want to learn a full 3d modeling/animation/graphics/sculpting tool or already have a background in the field, the learning curve is very high. It only makes sense to learn it if you don't have the advanced add-ons or you are interested in the other stuff. It is an amazing piece of software and it is being updated constantly but massive overkill for pattern making.

Having basic to good 2d graphics skills is always a good thing. I would recommend learning a 2d software program for use in making patterns.

Good luck. It is a ton of fun making patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by vanhooseja View Post
    thanks for replying I have 3d modeling suite and I downloaded blender and inkscape. I figured the system could probably do it just need to learn how to design.
    The Extrude tool in the 3D package will let you make a wavy flag shape. Give it a try.

If you do try to take up blender, one of the tools available are physics tools.

For all the blender users. You can let the program do the work for you by it applying deformation to the geometry (mesh) with different physics models. In this case I assigned a cloth modifier to the flag plane and then allowed gravity and wind physics to deform the mesh over time. It is really cool to see and once you master the technique is really fast.

You need to apply some draft due to the thin rope I used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW flag waving with pole.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I did this using the line tools to draw the shape and the Extrude tool. Saved it as a pattern and then I used the Edit Envelope tool on the pattern for effect. It's just a crude example and certainly not ready for prime time but I think you can get a good picture of how I did it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wave Example.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-18-2018 at 10:43 AM.
    Steve

10. Default

So I have been playing with the Extrude tool but how do place a pattern on it and have it conform with the waves? The conform checkbox is grayed out. here is an example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	86112

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast