Thread: Need Help Designing Fire Piston Cylinder and Cap

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need Help Designing Fire Piston Cylinder and Cap

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to the carvewright community and am currently limited to using the basic software. I need help creating a fire piston. Basically It is a 2 piece item 1 being the cylinder and 1 being the piston. I plan on using dowel rods for the piston so basically I need help designing the cylinder and maybe a cap that would allow a person to hold the piston and compress it without jamming a dowel rod into their palm. These items are for intended for long term survival in a wilderness setting and have been traditionally only made from wood. I have pretty much figured that the cylinder will have to be a 2 piece carve that is double sided however the basic software doesn't allow me to create the parts. The cylinder would have a 3/8" id and a 7/8" to 1" od. If I were to choose the shape of the cylinder I would make the od in the form of a hexagon so that the glue lines didn't show up and it would simply have a hole on the interior of 3/8" that would go almost to the bottom of the cylinder. So it would go maybe all but half inch of a 5" cylinder and would have a cap the thickness of the board and the same shape of the cylinder that I could glue the piston into so that I could use my palm to compress the piston into the cylinder. If anyone would be willing to help me design this project I would be willing to pay a modest amount for the design time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails firepiston.jpg