Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Machine Old Problems

Thanks Michael. I was curious how this was done on other CNC machines. Makes sense to me.

You're welcome!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thank You MT... I learned something about how other CNC's handle the bit change and safety.

Jumped into a post over on the Facebook CW Page where a new user was having a close cover issue. Someone posted that he bypassed his switches and the new user made interesting comments about that being possible... So I had to jump into a 5 week old post and give much of the same logic I posted above... Not sure how she solved her switch problem but I did chime in with the "Seat Belt" fix 4 weeks ago.

I worry about the new users looking to us for advice and getting the impression that it is OK to bypass safety switches. That is why I never miss a chance to post why I don't think it is a good idea.

Posting on the Internet is FOREVER... Even Deleted Posts are still "Somewhere".... You just know that if a New User gets mangled up on a machine that they thought it was OK to bypass the Safety Switches... The Lawyer is going to ask... "Well, WHO told you it was OK to bypass the Switches?" And that is when the lawyers start making the BIG BUCKS.... And it won't be LHR who is on the hook...

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-14-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Thank You MT... I learned something about how other CNC's handle the bit change and safety.

Jumped into a post over on the Facebook CW Page where a new user was having a close cover issue. Someone posted that he bypassed his switches and the new user made interesting comments about that being possible... So I had to jump into a 5 week old post and give much of the same logic I posted above... Not sure how she solved her switch problem but I did chime in with the "Seat Belt" fix 4 weeks ago.

I worry about the new users looking to us for advice and getting the impression that it is OK to bypass safety switches. That is why I never miss a chance to post why I don't think it is a good idea.

Posting on the Internet is FOREVER... Even Deleted Posts are still "Somewhere".... You just know that if a New User gets mangled up on a machine that they thought it was OK to bypass the Safety Switches... The Lawyer is going to ask... "Well, WHO told you it was OK to bypass the Switches?" And that is when the lawyers start making the BIG BUCKS.... And it won't be LHR who is on the hook...

AL

I agree with you, but there is a but.

I don't have the safety swtich disabled and probably wont disable it, but even with the cover open while running its a helluvalot safer than a table saw, lathe, miter saw, and diving with sharks. I saw one guy get hit in the you know where while he was trying to cross cut an unsupported board on the table saw! I don't think the carvewright has done that yet

I bought a second machine because my first was down so often (a long story) and I was simply unable to get the cover to engage the cut-motor cutoff switch correctly so, I bypassed it. This thread has me rethinking that decision. While the machine still has a second cover position switch which turns off the motor when lifted, I can see where a faulty condition could allow the motor to start or run with the cover open making it a recipe for blood staining a good piece of wood.

Remember the left switch wires can be put in 180 degrees out and that will give you a open cover all the time. But likely not a problem in your machine as you were able to bypass the switch and make it work so the wires must be plugged in correct.

Remember the seat belt idea to use tape to hold the cover tight to the switch.

And check and see if the switch is good by using sensor data and manually press it.

Switches have been known to go bad.

Good Luck

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123