Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Machine Old Problems

Default New Machine Old Problems

Hello,

This is my second machine that I have bought after a long break of traveling, but I am still getting the same issues that I had with my older unit.

Check cut motor. After 15 seconds of carving centerline text I get this message every time. The carve motor didn't even start yesterday when I was carving and thank God I didn't walk away!

Check board sensors, the thermal sensor and tracking roller constantly giving errors. I have the straightest boards that have been thickness sanded, do I need a wide belt to run this? I also use the blue tape. I have ruined just as many boards with the new machine as the old one. I thought it was supposed to track better? Do I need to build an mdf sled for all my pieces?

And the thing on the right hand side of the machine refuses to pop out to touch off the bit. This one broke faster then my last one that refused to pop out, and I am using dust collection this time!

What gives?

Sorry for all the complaining, I know that everyone here deals with these issues, I just thought the new machine would have worked out at least some of these bugs, but it appears to have created some new ones. The heavy duty belts and new chuck are awesome, so there you go!

All that said I love working with this machine and want to continue to improve my techniques, and be successful with it. I can do things with it obviously that I cannot by hand, and it makes some amazing signs!

The "Check Cut Motor" error message is pretty much SOP. We all have complained about it for the last several versions. Just press the enter key and the carving will continue. Also, make sure you have the latest firmware on the data card.

More than likely, the reason the bit plate doesn't swing out is because the Y truck is hitting the wiring bundle to the cover switches in the far upper right corner of the top cover. It's hard to see even with a flashlight. I know that I run the risk of incurring the wrath of the safety police when I say this but most of us have bypassed the switches. I have even removed the wiring entirely. I don't know if it's a safety issue or not but almost all CNC machines are completely open and without any cover at all. One just has to be smart enough to keep objects away from the spindle while it's spinning. Also, it's kind of nice to be able to open the cover to check on things while it is running.

If the bit doesn't touch the bit plate there are many errors that happen. Probably not tracking errors though.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-12-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by lesuer27 View Post
    The carve motor didn't even start yesterday when I was carving and thank God I didn't walk away!
    I would check the cut motor cover switch first, then brushes (although the latter shouldn't be an issue with a new machine).

Quote Originally Posted by lesuer27 View Post
    Check board sensors, the thermal sensor and tracking roller constantly giving errors.
    I have never had a "thermal sensor" error, can't help with that. Board sensor and tracking could be head pressure - have you measured it? Also, the outfeed rollers need to be properly aligned. You might be surprised to find subtle differences in boards that do require readjusting the outfeed rollers for most every board. What size boards are you using? Are you following the 7" rule?

I highly recommend using a substantial sled. I use a sled for virtually every project. This helps eliminate tracking problems. Side rails keep the bit away from the edges and provide good contact with the rollers. End caps reduce board waste due to the 7" rule. The mass of the sled dampens vibrations that particularly on vector cuts and cutouts can cause tracking problems. (Do any of your projects use cutouts?)

I've posted this fix for motor wire interference before but couldn't find it so here it is again - cable ties:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6306976.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	790.7 KB 
ID:	86055 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6306977.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	86056

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    but most of us have bypassed the switches.
    Gonna hafta challenge you on that statement Steve. I don't believe it is true. Got any data?

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Gonna hafta challenge you on that statement Steve. I don't believe it is true. Got any data?
    Of course I don't have any data. No one wants to admit to it. Even if you ran a survey here on the forum I seriously doubt the results would be accurate. However, I can say from personal experience, without any interference from the cover switches, my machine, a B machine with over 2000 hours carving time, has not only had fewer problems but has been a lot easier to use. Maybe I should have said "most experienced users". With that said and judging by the participation here on the forum I don't think there many of us left. But I digress......
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-12-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    The "Check Cut Motor" error message is pretty much SOP. We all have complained about it for the last several versions. Just press the enter key and the carving will continue. Also, make sure you have the latest firmware on the data card.

More than likely, the reason the bit plate doesn't swing out is because the Y truck is hitting the wiring bundle to the cover switches in the far upper right corner of the top cover. It's hard to see even with a flashlight. I know that I run the risk of incurring the wrath of the safety police when I say this but most of us have bypassed the switches. I have even removed the wiring entirely. I don't know if it's a safety issue or not but almost all CNC machines are completely open and without any cover at all. One just has to be smart enough to keep objects away from the spindle while it's spinning. Also, it's kind of nice to be able to open the cover to check on things while it is running.

If the bit doesn't touch the bit plate there are many errors that happen. Probably not tracking errors though.

Pulling out the switch sounds pretty amazin, Ill bet it runs alot cooler. Has it affected the dust collection?

So, I am going to press this a bit more, not because I want to start an argument, but because I think that there are some important points to be made here. I’m hoping this is taken in the spirit of an open discussion and civil debate.

My point was meant to be that you initially made a statement, and now two more, that may be viewed as facts but are opinions.

“A fact is a statement that can be proven true or false. An opinion is an expression of a person's feelings that cannot be proven.”

“but most of us have bypassed the switches”, “No one wants to admit to it”, and "most experienced users (have bypassed the switches)" are not facts. Actually, the second statement can easily be shown to be not factual, as in this thread alone two users in addition to yourself have admitted it:
    For the sake of helping those who are using this forum, I think it is important that fact vs. opinion be clear.

Your statement “However, I can say from personal experience, without any interference from the cover switches, my machine, a B machine with over 2000 hours carving time, has not only had fewer problems but has been a lot easier to use.” is a fact. However, I can also offer the fact that after I did replace a faulty switch early on, I have had over 1000 trouble-free hours on my machine. My point here is that it is not necessary to bypass the switches to fix cover switch problems – the problems can be fixed without compromising safety features.

Take a look at this thread:

As Al explains, and as is backed up by the experience of the author of the thread himself, an electronics failure can cause the cut motor to start unexpectedly at any time – and it did. “One just has to be smart enough to keep objects away from the spindle while it's spinning.” with switches bypassed is not sufficient, because it can start spinning at any time with an electronics failure.

So my second point is there is more information on this topic that has been presented elsewhere, but not here. I would like anyone reading this thread and considering bypassing switches to be informed.

Do you have a picture of your sled? Is it mdf or plywood? What are the dimensions?

What would be great is to be able to mod the tracking roller to engage a sled with a rack and pinion gear instead of a roller, all tracking issues solved forever!

thanks all for your replies!

I have a few different sizes for convenience, plywood base with rails and end caps as shown. The thumbscrews and scrap pieces allow various length and with boards to be loaded. I set my projects up with an additional 1" and 4" on sides and ends to match the sled dimensions and use Place On Corner. I do have masking tape on the bottom of the sled but probably not necessary.

I like your idea, but the rack and pinion teeth would need to be ultra precise and mesh tightly to avoid backlash issues. when loaded properly you will have impressions made into the seld by the roller, like a rack. If outfeed tables were not adjusted properly rack and pinion would not mesh tightly and could still cause problems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adjustable sled.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	86057

To me, it really doesn't make any difference whether it's fact or opinion. I'm just sharing my experiences and apparently the experiences of others who have either bypassed or removed the cover switches. There some advantages and disadvantages. One, of which, it forces the use of the stop button rather than lifting the cover to stop the machine. There have been a lot of broken bits reported on that issue alone. It also allows one to lift the cover without stopping the machine to inspect the process. Another advantage is that it makes diagnostics much simpler when there is a problem.

I'm not saying that everyone should bypass the cover switches. If you're not comfortable with it then don't do it. As far as safety is concerned, you can wear 5 seat belts while you are driving but is it really safer than using just one? It is my opinion that LHR is just trying to limit their liability and cover switches are unnecessarily redundant. My definition of creativity is: "Those that can, do. All others just do what they're told". In other words: "Think outside the box".
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-12-2018 at 05:28 PM.
    Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast