Thread: Rotary Jig

Default Rotary Jig

Morning, I am wanting to buy the rotary jig, can I start the carve with a square block or does it have to be round first

You can start the carve with a square block as long as the diagonal is not more than 4.25". That will restrict you to a rotary diameter of 3". It also is extra work for the machine. It would be better to cut off the corners an start with an octagon. What I use is my dowel maker. (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...210#post242210) See also post 32.

thank youjust bought the rotary jig but didn't order the long carve bit hope that doesn't hurt much

Without the 1/8" deep carve bit, you will be limited to 1" deep carving on larger diameter dowels. You will not be able to go deep enough, for example, to get near the center of a dowel. That is ok if you want to make things like rotary lithos. If you want to do things like start with a square block, I think you will need the deep bit.

thanks for the info,,,ok got deep carving bit, was on back order, now I want to learn how to set up a rotary carve, and I do cut corners off here and on a regular lathe

Elmo