Thread: Nut

Default Nut

Could someone please explain how to draw a nut. I've tried and tried and have had no luck. Any assistance would be appriciated!

For a simple nut, draw a hexagon with a circle in the middle of it. Rounded corners and threads are a little more complicated. I drew the second example in Aspire but adding threads would require a lot of work and probably require a 3D modeling and rendering program like Autocad. Have you tried to import a ready-made model?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nut.png   Nut Asp.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-23-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    Steve

For this example I used the Designer and a Sweep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nut.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-23-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mmatsumura View Post
    Could someone please explain how to draw a nut. I've tried and tried and have had no luck. Any assistance would be appriciated!
    You could download a photo of just about any politician, then use the 2D Drawing Tools to trace it.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

HA HA I get it.

Many, many thanks for the hexagon assistance. My overall objective is to carve out recesses for specific size nuts. Depending on the external dimentions, how do I adjust the size? I have tried this a few times, but each time it's either too small or too large. I suspect the diameter of the bit I am using factors in, typically a 1/8" straight bit, so how do I factor that into proper dimensions? The depth depends on the thickness of the nut which I have already determined. Any and all assistance would be appreciated.

If you are assigning a bit to a vector, the center of the bit will cut on the center of the line. Use a negative inset that is 1/2 the diameter of the bit. For a 1/8" bit use -.063. The setting is in the bit assignment dialogue box. In this example I made the outside perimeter 1/16" smaller and then offset each line by .1" to the inside so the 1/8" bit will lap over the previous cut.

To resize, select all in the group and use the mouse to drag the yellow triangles on the corners.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-26-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    Steve

Many thanks... I'll give it a try and let you know how it turned out.