Thread: Lines in carve

Default Lines in carve

Cannot remember what the word that describes this but I am getting a couple lines on this carve project. I notices the first one as it was coming out of the CW and noticed 2 more on the far end after removing it. I was using the UCB so am not sure why it happened. If you notice, it is only in the carved regions, not on the boarder.

Any idea's? I made sure the board was placed in the UCB as per the instructions

Thanks,

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20180508_16_11_26_Pro.jpg   WP_20180508_17_21_58_Pro.jpg   WP_20180508_18_08_36_Pro.jpg  

Lines of that type are normally a sign of something going wrong with the Z axis. A loose bit could do it but it most likely would have done more damage. Z truck bearing could be your cause, but I would again think there would be more damage. The encoder could also be a cause, a bit of dust getting in the way of encoder reader would do this type of damage on a hit or miss deal. I would look at all the before mentioned causes, but I feel it may be dust in the encoder.

Try it on a scrap piece of wood without the sled. It may not be the problem but it will eliminate one possibility.
    Steve

That looks to me as the board may be rocking on the UCB. Maybe the board was not flat. Also make sure the outfeed rollers are adjusted to support the UCB when it gets to them.

Now that you say that, I did notice the board not sitting completely flat in the UCB. Since it has one on each end at about the same poing in from the end I might be able to do something with it. The lighter one I might be able to sand out of cover somehow.

Thanks for all of the help.

Chris

3.5 inch rule.... Crank up the head. Slide the board back in with the sled. Put the damage area right under the bit. NOW... Where is the end of the sled... THAT is where it moved DOWN or UP causing a physical depth change in the BOARD... Not the Z.... THINK the BOARD MOVED DOWN for a BUMP of Damage or Line and UP for a GROOVE or LINE CUT...

Usually the damage is 3.5 inches from where the bit goes out from under the roller OR bumps into a HIGH TRAY. WHAT is the board doing when the damage happened... Going UP or DOWN.

Since the rest of the board carve region is GOOD then "What Changed"... The Z is still GOOD... The Board Moved..

Easy when you think like the machine...

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-09-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

This was a 2 board glue up and after cutting it down to correct width, I should have ran it through my planer. I have high spots on both the front and back where the 2 board are glued together and should have fixed it before I put it in the carver. Both pieces were cut from the same board right next to each other so I am unsure why they were not even but, I guess that is how we learn. Next time I will get my planer out and plane it first.

Chris