Thread: This is my first try

1. Default This is my first try

Hi All

I wanted to give this sign to my son & daughter in law on Mothers day. I put this together by piece mealing what I have learned. I would appreciate any helpful ideas that I could make this look better. If ask bud did a video on this I would greatly appreciate the link. I thought it looked pretty good for the 1st try, I look forward to any feedback you can offer. Thank you in advance

LoriblackdogAttachment 85924

I made some changes, see if it looks better. What I did was set the depths for everything at the same level and then adjusted the heights to get the layers look. Also added small draft to the text.

Note, when I opened it up I got notifications that I did not have the fonts you used so I am not sure if they defaulted to another font or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mothersday.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fwharris; 05-08-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Also, the stars are set at a height of 999 which suppresses the height of the letters. If you reduce the height of the stars to, say, 100, you'll have a lot more control over the heights of the letters.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

I fancied it up a bit. Note the heights and depths of the text in relation to each other and the swept carve region. I didn't have the same fonts so I used what I thought looked good and included it in the post. It's free on the internet also. You can make changes or do with it as you wish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wellington.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-08-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    Steve

5. Default

Hi fwharris,

I really liked what you did, and now I see the difference. I want to Thank you so much for your help. I am keeping a copy of what I did and some of the changes everyone has shown me. Thanks so much.

Loriblackdog

6. Default

Hi Steve,

My old buddy.....Thank you so much I liked how you fancied it up it looks so good. You always come to my rescue and now I am actually seeing what everyone is telling me. I guess it will take a little bit of time to learn the ropes. Again thank you so much.................I am sure they will like it.

Thank you
    Loriblackdog

7. Default

Hi Steve,

I really liked what you did so I tried to save it and got, file can not be saved due to the following unlicensed features: Advanced 3D, If I don't have that I cannot get the finished product like you have? Is there a way I can keep most of it? As I am still in the learning mode and I am trying to keep my costs down, I hate to spend $200-300 for the 3D program. As I always I thank you so much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Loriblackdog View Post
    Hi Steve,

I really liked what you did so I tried to save it and got, file can not be saved due to the following unlicensed features: Advanced 3D, If I don't have that I cannot get the finished product like you have? Is there a way I can keep most of it? As I am still in the learning mode and I am trying to keep my costs down, I hate to spend $200-300 for the 3D program. As I always I thank you so much for your help.

I used the "Sweep: Corner" for the background so the feather is an arc rather than just a slope. It's subtle but I think it looks better than the standard feather. You could just delete it and replace it with a rectangle the same size and a standard feather. This one is a pattern so it should carve. If you intend to make more of these kind of carvings you really should get the 3D add-on.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-09-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    Steve

9. Default

Hi Steve,

I love how it looks, once I get it carved then maybe I can talk my husband into buying me the 3d add on, as he could see what I could do with it. Thank you for the copy I can use and I will post probably sometime next week. Really appreciate it.

Loriblackdog