Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Override the "scale to length" prompt

The board in the Designer (virtual board) should be a little larger than the carving area. The actual board size should be 1" wider and 8" longer than the virtual board. Use "Center on board" and say NO to stay under rollers. Since the actual board is 4" longer on each end it will stay under the rollers. If you answer "Yes" to stay under rollers the machine will expect a board that is 7" longer than the virtual board. This is just one possible scenario. There are many other techniques but I think it's the least complicated until you get accustomed to the machine and software.

EDIT: In actuality, if the board is 8" longer than the virtual board it really doesn't matter how you answer the "Stay Under Rollers" question. Saying NO just means that if your board is a little short it will carve without asking to scale but won't stay under the rollers.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-08-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Steve

2. Default

I didn't get the ignore option on that cut. I know I've gotten it before. I'm working on getting better on measurements...LOL

3. Default

Steve,

you meant the virtual board should be smaller right? I tried that...it looked great! And then my axis stalled. That's in a whole different post! Ugh! I WILL figure this out! LOL

I guess it just depends on how you look at it but the actual board should be larger by 8" in length.
    Steve

This can sometimes be all about FrugAL Board use... Getting the most from your boards.... I rarely use a sled except to cut slots in my Accountability Boards. But I do use Place On END or CORNER pretty much all the time. And with that... I add 4 inches to the right side of the Screen in Designer or the head of the board. I then start my artwork to the LEFT of that 4 inches. I then TAPE a 4 inch block of wood on the head of the board the same width and thickness. This lets me get the most out of my board. I also leave the board LONG and just cut OFF the project after it is carved. Note in the pictures where I taped a scrap board on the good board and drew a 4 inch block on my artwork in designer to keep me out of that area. PLUS by using Place on END you cut down the SERVO MOTOR TIME as with Center on board the machine measures the board length TWICE.... With Place on END... It measures down "Just to make sure you have enough WOOD"... So only ONCE....

And I always tell it to NOT stay under the rollers as I am putting a "Manual Version" of stay under the rollers by adding the block... And for SHORT Boards like the 2 cut out deer... I tape a scrap on the BACK SIDE TOO... So the back stays under the rollers.

The GOAL of "Stay under the ROLLERS" is that it is 3.5 inches from the BIT to each roller... Or 7 inches between Rollers... The GOAL is to have the project board PRESSED down on the Rubber or Sand Paper Belts. This keeps the board FLAT with NO ELEVATION Changes. When the board is only being held by ONE roller "Bad Things HAPPEN"... From Lines and Bumps in the Carved Area TO the BRASS ROLLER loosing contact with the board and the board moving in the X Direction and SNAPPING A BIT... Or the board is damaged... Once the board losses contact with the Brass Roller.. It is ALL LOST.... You just made nice FIREWOOD....

IF you think what the MACHINE WANTS... it's EASY.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02673_WEB.jpg   CW 3x.jpg   DSC01993_WEB.jpg   BC2.jpg  

DSC00797_WEB.jpg   b2.jpg   DSC00793_WEB.jpg   DSC00924_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-09-2018 at 11:57 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

6. Default Up scaling to width

I have to deal with the machine wanting to scale up my projects to width.
    I primarily make 5.5in wide designs and load 5.75 boards. The machine gives two options scale to width 5.62 or something or load new board. Rarely do i get ignore. Ive started to load 5 5/8 boards and i think it doesn't do it anymore, but i should not have to deal with this anyway right?

Please post an actual MPC file that you are having trouble with. Also, measure the actual board that gives you this trouble and post the exact dimensions of the board.

Having complete information we can view can lead to a complete solution for you.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 05-22-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by honeychild View Post
    I have to deal with the machine wanting to scale up my projects to width.
    I primarily make 5.5in wide designs and load 5.75 boards. The machine gives two options scale to width 5.62 or something or load new board. Rarely do i get ignore. Ive started to load 5 5/8 boards and i think it doesn't do it anymore, but i should not have to deal with this anyway right?
    You might need to calibrate the Y.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Perhaps, but 9 times out of 10 it's usually an issue either with the layout in the software or with the board dimensions. We cannot know for sure until we get the file and info requested.

By the way, neither of my machines have needed recalibration in over ten years of use! Maybe I'm just lucky!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12