Thread: House Number

1. Default House Number

Hi All,

I am back at it again....I am trying to make a sign to hang on a fenced yard that has the house numbers on it. I would like to know if I did this right and do you think it will carve ok? I really appreciate any feedback you can send my way.

Thank you
    LoriblackdogBilly's House #.mpcBilly's House #.mpc

Your project is going to run, but I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. The numerals will be cut out of your sign, leaving "holes" - is that what you want?. The center of the zero is going to be lost. What is the reason for the rectangular carve region? That carve region is not centered.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	billys house.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	824.5 KB 
ID:	85851

3. Default

Hi Dick,

No, I don't want the numbers cut out. I want the Numbers to be raised so they can be easily seen on the fence. I thought I needed a carved region? I would greatly appreciate it if you or someone could tell me the steps I need to do this.

Thank you
    Loriblackdog

You do need a carve region for raised text. You have apparently outlined the numerals and selected the Cut Path tool. That is not correct.

Create a rectangular carve region as you have done. I would recommend .125" depth. .25" as you have done (and is the default) will work, and in some cases may be desirable, but .125" is enough for raised letters to stand out and will minimise carve time. Next, use the Text tool to enter your numerals. Select Raster as the Route Mode in the Text dialogue box. If you want more space between the numerals, set that in the Text dialog box as well. It's better to let the software space and align the text as a group as opposed to your placing individual numerals manually. The text will default to .125" depth and 100 height, which is fine. You can change the height to 999 to ensure that the numerals will be raised to the surface, particularly if you change the depth of the text. Add Small or Medium Draft to the text to prevent chipout and make the text sturdier. Add some feather to the carve region for the same reason. BTW this will also speed up the carving a bit. I would use the Center Horizontally tool on both the carve region and the numerals for aesthetics. I would also center the text vertically within the carve region, again a personal choice, but also more professional in my opinion. Also, and this is purely an aesthetic choice and personal taste, but I would leave a bigger border between the carve region and the edges of the board - in your case 1/2" - 1".

Carve this in a sled or obey the 7" rule with a bigger board.

Post your modified mpc.

Dick
    Last edited by DickB; 04-26-2018 at 08:09 AM.

5. Default

Hi Dick,

Thank you for your help, I think I did everything you told me except I am not sure on how to leave a bigger border. I appreciate your help and don't want to be a pain, so I am enclosing how I redid to your suggestions. Thank you in advance and have a Great Day.

Lori
    Attached Files Attached Files

The additional changes that I suggested are a matter of personal taste. I would leave a bigger border by reducing the size of the rectangular carve region, to produce more of a "frame". I would center the numerals in the rectangle (you have them almost touching the top of the carve region).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	billys house 2.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	786.5 KB 
ID:	85853

7. Default

Hi Dick

Thank you, Thank you for your help, I finally see what you are saying. Good suggestions and I appreciate your help. Have a Great Weekend.

Lori